Any good audio players for OS X/PPC?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Member2010, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Member2010 macrumors regular

Got this G5 set up a few days ago and thought I might listen to a bit of music on it. It had other ideas. I've tried VLC and even the stock "Tunes" application, but none of them can handle the WPL or M3U playlist of stuff I want to hear properly (VLC gets close but manages to screw up the directory path, "Tunes" just treats it like a blank playlist - and I'm not rebuilding it again). I've had minor problems in the past copying this library/playlist combo to other Windows machines, but a quick "find n replace" after opening the playlist file in notepad fixed that up. Even both the players on my Android phone figured it out right away...

And yes, I did try the "Windows Media Player for OSX" - what a joke :p; it couldn't even recognize either of the playlist files. Is music playing something PowerPCs will just never be good at or is there a software somewhere that I don't know about?

::

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

What do you mean, "the stock Tunes application"? iTunes?

Have a read of this thread. I use Spotify, but it doesn't sound like that will work for you.

3. Jessica Lares, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013

Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You need to do a find and replace again. iTunes handles m3u fine.

4. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

5. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

I've never had a problem with m3u's and iTunes, though I'm not familiar with WPL.

6. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

For audio, if these don't sort it, it's not the program that's the issue ;)

7. Frost7 macrumors regular

Frost7

So far iTunes 10.6.3 on my Quad G5 takes everything I've thrown at it...

8. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

I use spotify and play. Play is a universal music player with support for FLAC.

9. fergarciarmz macrumors newbie

Try VOX version 0.2.8 beta2 for PPC

10. Member2010 thread starter macrumors regular

tricky

Then how do you explain a working playlist file showing up as empty?

Gave RealPlayer a try, just got "RealPlayer cannot play this media file with the installed version of QuickTime. (error -2158)" when I tried opening the playlist file.

Well it's not the playlist either. It plays fine in Windows Media Player 10, Windows Media 11, and WinAmp on Android. The closest I've gotten in OSX is VLC, which atleast recognizes and tries to play the M3U, it just tries looking in the folder that the playlist is located in instead of the correct path for the tracks according to the error log that it spits out.

If it's worth mentioning, I do have a lonely single album in WMA format that the tunes thing won't recognize either, but I could convert that if need be. I just want that playlist to play.

Wouldn't open the M3U or even acknowledge it.

That one didn't do anything...
    :(

This is going to be tricky.

::