Any good book recommendations for learning iOS development (not Stanford U)?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Spanky Deluxe, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Spanky Deluxe, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012

Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Hi all,

Does anyone have any (up to date) book suggestions for a new iOS programmer? I've been working through the Stanford U course and am really not enjoying it so far. I'm stuck on Assignment 2 largely because I don't understand what it is I'm meant to do and I find the lectures hard to follow and full of buzzwords that mean nothing to me.

I'm not a programming newbie by any means although I'm a bit rusty on object oriented programming (although I do have some VBA experience). I work in Fortran, Matlab and C on a daily basis and recently taught myself CUDA using nVidia's excellent book. Ideally I'd want an equivalent to that CUDA book - very easy to follow with plenty of example code snippets and solutions. I don't want to be held up because I don't understand what it is that's expected of me.

Any suggestions? I'd rather a print book but it's not the end of the world if not.

2. cMacSW macrumors regular

3. Mark FX macrumors regular

Mark FX

I would highly recommend the books by the Big Nerd Ranch, they are written
    by people who run acclaimed iOS programming coarses, the one listed below
    is a great starting point, and I still use my copy for reference on occasions.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/iOS-Programming-Ranch-Guide-Guides/dp/0321821521/ref=dp_ob_image_bk

This is the latest version of that book, which covers ARC and Xcode 4.3, but the
    previous version that I have is still available, if your on Xcode 4.2, and want to
    learn manual reference counting techniques.

If you want to learn about the Objective-C language, then the BNR also have a
    great book on learning the language, listed below.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Objective-C-Programming-Ranch-Guide-Guides/dp/0321706285/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334514369&sr=1-5

Hope this is some help.

Regards Mark

4. nathanlloyd macrumors member

I'm currently working through this, seems pretty good.

5. charleshudgen macrumors newbie

I learned IPhone programming with this book : Beginning IPhone development by Dave Mark & Jeff LaMarche . It is an excellent book. I did have a good foundation, and then started to read some 'good-reviews' book on Amazon.

6. CheesePuff macrumors 6502

1. Learn C/Objective-C - I recommend Programming in Objective-C 4th edition.

2. iOS Programming, The Big Nerd Ranch 3rd Edition, and/or Programming iOS 5 by Matt Neuberg (sp?).

7. manPrime macrumors newbie

Yep i second this book. Found it to less of a steep learning curve than the BNR Obj-C book

8. truehybridx macrumors member