Any good books/resources for learning about OpenGL ES?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by tutiplain, Dec 25, 2011.

1. tutiplain macrumors member

Hi,

I was looking through Amazon to see if there are some Objective-C books which cover OpenGL ES for iOS devices, but most that I could see are beginner books, and only cover the basics of the language. Does anyone know of any good books for learning OpenGL? I know that OpenGL is platform independent, but if there are any iOS specific resources out there, they would be most welcome. Thanks for any info.

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I too am somewhat interested in this... I have the Open GL ES 2.0 Programming Guide or something like that... I've cracked it open and read some, but last time I did it was all way over my head (granted, the last time I did was well over a year ago, so maybe I'd understand it better now.)

I'd kind of like to make a 3D game but it seems like that would require much too much effort for me to tackle alone, so for now I'll pursue my less ambitious app ideas and keep building out a resumé...

3. forcesteeler macrumors 6502

Trying to Learn OpenGL is a very complicated very time consuming task.

And in the Real World at the end of the day its better to use a Game Engine like Unreal 3 (http://udk.com) or Unity.

4. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I'm curious whether you would suggest the same for 2D graphics.

5. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Unity3D is not bad for 2D games, but for those, I mostly opt for Cocos2D.