Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swerveut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Hello,

I have tried the following so far and have landed on the best choice for the iPad Pro 10.5”:

1) Logitech Slim Combo for iPad Pro 10.5”
Pros: Good hard shell, plastic but feels good quality, backlit keys, keyboard key travel is just great, holder for Apple Pencil
Cons: Adds a lot of bulk and weight, keyboard attachment is very flimsy and flops around. Turns the iPad into a bulky machine with loss of the amazing portability - rather invest in a proper laptop than get this maybe. Returned.

2) Apple Smart Keyboard
Pros: always attached, fairly lightweight and does not add bulk, waterproof
Cons: horrible feel to the keys and downright pathetic keyboard experience. Keyboard can sometimes feel like its in the way while using the iPad on its on with keyboard folded back. Only one viewing angle. Keyboard and cover do not feel like lux quality at all, feels like you are compromising both on the iPad and the keyboard experience. Returned.

3) Apple Magic Keyboard and Leather Smart Cover
Pros: Keyboard feels amazing, never in the way and you can easily put it aside. Instant Bluetooth connection. Some good function keys however multitasking function keys are not supported. Thin and lightweight, both the iPad, and the keyboard.
Cons: I need to find a way to carry them both together smartly.

Hence my question - Anyone using this combination and aware of any good iPad cases/carriers which will hold the iPad Pro 10.5” and the Magic Keyboard?

Many thanks.

TinyChip

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2015
California
...Hence my question - Anyone using this combination and aware of any good iPad cases/carriers which will hold the iPad Pro 10.5” and the Magic Keyboard?

I don’t have your exact setup, instead I’ve the iPad Pro 10.5 with Smart Cover and Apple Smart Keyboard. I actually carry both, along with Apple Pencil and cable/charger, in the AmazonBasics 11.6-Inch Laptop and Tablet Bag...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DUGZFA6/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_ho1aAbBGV7J8P

This bag checked all the boxes for me: Extremely lightweight, slim, compact, padded, zippered compartments with internal pockets and dividers to keep everything organized, pen loops, and inexpensive. Lastly, it looks good.

It has 3 zippered compartments. Small compartment holds charger, cable, and Apple Pencil. Medium compartment has 2 or 3 internal pockets and pen loops. Large compartment is padded with an interior divider to keep iPad is separate from keyboard. I can also stuff in a legal notepad in there because iPad is so thin.

Don’t let the cheap price fool you. I bought it last year for $10. It’s great bag. I’ve taken it on trips to Hawaii.

It should easily fit the Magic Keyboard (L 10.98in x W 4.52in). The bag interior is L 11.8in x W 8.7in.

61ca13ab8381272e732015dd2477696e.jpg

Last edited:

strawberryshortcake

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2017
Bay Area, California
Hello,

I have tried the following so far and have landed on the best choice for the iPad Pro 10.5”:

1) Logitech Slim Combo for iPad Pro 10.5”
Pros: Good hard shell, plastic but feels good quality, backlit keys, keyboard key travel is just great, holder for Apple Pencil
Cons: Adds a lot of bulk and weight, keyboard attachment is very flimsy and flops around. Turns the iPad into a bulky machine with loss of the amazing portability - rather invest in a proper laptop than get this maybe. Returned.

2) Apple Smart Keyboard
Pros: always attached, fairly lightweight and does not add bulk, waterproof
Cons: horrible feel to the keys and downright pathetic keyboard experience. Keyboard can sometimes feel like its in the way while using the iPad on its on with keyboard folded back. Only one viewing angle. Keyboard and cover do not feel like lux quality at all, feels like you are compromising both on the iPad and the keyboard experience. Returned.

3) Apple Magic Keyboard and Leather Smart Cover
Pros: Keyboard feels amazing, never in the way and you can easily put it aside. Instant Bluetooth connection. Some good function keys however multitasking function keys are not supported. Thin and lightweight, both the iPad, and the keyboard.
Cons: I need to find a way to carry them both together smartly.

Hence my question - Anyone using this combination and aware of any good iPad cases/carriers which will hold the iPad Pro 10.5” and the Magic Keyboard?

Many thanks.

Get a zipper leather padfolio with an added pocket of some sort to hold the magic keyboard. It'll look professional. The padfolio doesn't even need to be specified for tablets nor have a dedicated tablet holder, just any will do. Since you're already eyeing a leather smart cover, any zipper leather padfolio will work.

After testing out various different laptop and tablet sleeve holders down at Staples, the zipper padfolio I found lying at home felt incredibly more substantial and offered much more protection than any tablet/laptop specific sleeve. Leather zipper padfolio can be found down at Staples, Officedepot, etc. Sleeves made for tablets including laptops simply felt much too flimsy and simply doesn't offer much protection.

https://www.amazon.com/padfolio-Exe...1510182242&sr=8-3&keywords=ipad+padfolio+10.5

812TB9k49IL._SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: macgeek18
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.