Any good commercial VPN services for the average user out there?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by blow45, Apr 16, 2011.

1. blow45 macrumors 68000

Sorry guys if I am posting this is the wrong subforum, didn't know where else to put it.

I 'd love it if anyone who has the time could post some heads up of a good, reliable, secure VPN to use for privacy concerns on the web. I've done a bit of research but I am not well versed in the subject at all.

thanks.:)

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

3. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

looks great! thanks so much, I 'll definitely give it a go! :)

Do we have any info on how strict their privacy is, or to put it better if we have any info of breaches or governmental actions against it? I suppose it's not located in sweden.

(love sweden btw, only if it weren't that cold)

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

https://www.ipredator.se/faq/security/

5. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

sounds great!:)

btw can you tunnel one vpn into another? I don't know if this sounds strange, or downright stupid for that matter but I was wondering about it with my little knowledge of the area.

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

^^^ I have never heard if that bring possible. I would imagine OS X only allows you to connect to one at the time.

7. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

I would imagine that too, unless someone has written a patch or app to pipe one vpn to the other.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

9. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

what? OpenVPN is great!
    usually IPSec/L2TP, PPTP, CiscoVPN is blocked as it uses a certain range of ports, OpenVPN can use any port you want and can thus pas through any firewall ;)

I find that hidemyass.com and strongvn.com are great, do note that strongVPN does not allow for copyright infringing traffic but hidemyass does, StrongVPN also keeps more logs. StrongVPN is great in that you get both an OpenVPN and PPTP tunnel included in the price.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

11. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

thanks guys, I appreciate your help very much, let me do some research on the terminology here as I am like I said very much a novice, so I can get back to you with a more informed opinion. :)

12. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Your example only talks about the identification portion of SSL/TLS, not its encryption. Basically, certificate exchanges are used only to identify that you are talking to who you assume to be talking to.

If you are quite sure who you are talking to, the certificate is moot and the encryption doesn't depend on the certificate itself, so it is plenty strong enough to hide your data from prying eyes.

The only reason self-signed certificates are looked down upon is hype from trusted CAs so they can sell you their overpriced digital signatures.