Any good deals on TB Adapters?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BasilFawlty, Mar 15, 2013.

1. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

I got a great deal on a Seagate 3TB GoFlex drive which can be used with the optional TB adapter for GoFlex Desktop drives. Problem is, the danged adapters cost more than I paid for the drive (Drive a $119 on sale at COSTCO). The best price I've seen or TB adapter is $176 plus shipping through Amazon.

Just wondering if anyone knoes of any good sales on these adapters? I want to get one, but don't want to pay more than the drive.

2. Oldmanmac macrumors 6502

3. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

That's pretty much the going rate. Otherwise you'll have to consider the cheaper alternative USB 3.0.

4. Giuly, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  5. mario24601 macrumors regular

6. BasilFawlty thread starter macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

My drive is called the "Seagate GoFlex. I know they now sell both adaptors (One for the Seagate GoFlex ~ $189 and the one you mentioned, the "Backup Plus" ~ $149. However, will a "GoFlex drive work with a "Backup Plus" TB adaptor? When I look at them both on Amazon, they look different. Has anyone successfully used a GoFlex Drive on a "Backup Plus" adaptor??

7. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

most thunderbolt drives are a waste of money. it doesnt matter if your using thunderbolt or usb 3.0 the bandwidth is not fully used with 5400 rpm and 7200 rpm drives. the fact that its "thunderbolt" wont make the drive any faster then the drive can output. the only time thunderbolt is worth the money is when its using a ssd drive that can utilize all the bandwidth.

8. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Q: Will my Backup Plus portable adapters work with my GoFlex portable drives, and vice versa?
    A: All GoFlex interface adapters will work with Backup Plus drives. This includes:
    USB 2.0 (standard-height 14.5mm and Slim versions)
    USB 3.0 (standard-height 14.5mm and Slim versions)
    FireWire 800
    Powered eSATA (or eSATAp)
    Thunderbolt

According to Seagate.

9. BasilFawlty thread starter macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

The answer there says that all GoFlex Adaptors will work with Backup Plus drives but it doesn't say the reverse is true. (I hope it is because the TB Adaptor for the BU-Plus is less expensive than the TB adaptor made for the GoFlex desk top drive.

10. LoneWolfUSMC macrumors newbie

LoneWolfUSMC

The advantage that I see is that while I can get the same speed that I get from USB 3.0, with Thunderbolt I can daisy chain the drives or other accessories. Sure I could accomplish this is part with a USB 3.0 hub, but in my opinion it's a less elegant design. I have a USB 3.0 Seagate GoFlex Drive. I will eventually upgrade the adapter to the Thunderbolt, then add an additional drive and run them Raid 0 to boost the speed.

11. Giuly, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

I forgot to add the last paragraph, which is

All Backup Plus interface adapters, both standard-height (14.5mm) and full-height (22mm), will work with all GoFlex drives with one exception.
    Standard-height Backup Plus adapters (14.5mm) will not work with high-capacity GoFlex drives (1TB and above).

Or in other words: GoFlex desktop drives won't work on Backup Plus portable adapters, everything else is interchangeable.

12. BasilFawlty thread starter macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

I wouldn't expect a GoFlex desktop drive to wonk on any portable adaptor. But it only says the high-capacity GoFlex drives won't work with "standard height" (14.5mm) adaptors. Does that mean the y will work with the "full height" (22mm) adaptors? And while we're on the subject, what dimension are they measuring that are 14mm and 22mm, respectively? 14 mm = 0.55 inches and 22mm = 0.87 inches.

13. Giuly, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

The height, and given that 3.5" drives are either 19mm or 25.4mm high, while 2TB 2.5" hard drives are 12.5mm high, the 'high-capacity' drives are the desktop ones, while the standard-capacity drives are the portable (2.5") ones.

Actually, the old portable adapters (FW800, USB3.0) worked on the desktop drives, but as they've added a plastic shield, the new ones don't fit anymore.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    (Old, New. The Plug itself is the same on all GoFlex and Backup Plus drives, regardless of Desktop or Portable.)
    The bottom of the hard drive is just flat:
    [​IMG]