Any good DVD Rippers for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ECUpirate44, May 6, 2010.

1. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Hey everyone, sorry if this has already been answered but does anyone know of a good dvd ripper for mac?

2. JSAYER macrumors member

Handbrake.

But remember to get 32bit as there is no VLC for 64bit

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That is not a ripper though, it encodes the video contained on video DVDs.

4. JSAYER macrumors member

Oh sorry didn't know there was a difference :p

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The difference, technically, is that a ripper copies the content of a video DVD to your HDD while it circumvents the copy protection scheme. Handbrake does not copy and it uses VLC's libdvdcss file to circumvent the copy protection scheme while it reads the DVD's content to transcode the video.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i have 64 bit hb and 64 bit vlc on my mac......what you talkin about?

7. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Hm, so what are the benefits of each? Im not too savvy with this kind of thing. I've been using handbrake and it works well but would I get better quality with a ripper?

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Not better quality, but maybe faster encoding, if the video DVD is copied to the HDD before. But that depends on the speed of your DVD drive and your CPU speed. For instance, if you have an 8-core Mac Pro, it will encode faster with a rip, as it can read faster from an HDD than from a DVD.

If you use MRoogle you will find plenty of threads on this.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ripit is by far the best i have come across

mactheripper is too inconsistent for me

10. ECUpirate44 thread starter macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

went with ripit. thanks

11. macrazee macrumors regular

Unfortunately, NO. And it's a shame.

RipIt, while a nice interface, has a lot of issues. Many rips which it claims are successful are trash -- menus don't work properly, titles played out of order, buttons not working...and in many cases the output is so bad third-party DVD reauthoring solutions won't even accept a RipIt rip.

MacTheRipper is pretty good, especially V4 (if you are willing to go through the rigamaroll to get a license!) but it, too, suffers from problems with some DVD titles.

The best I've found (roughly 75% success rate though it varies) is Mac DVDRipper Pro. It's also the cheapest of the 3 at less than a $10 bill. But unfortunately it TOO has issues with a lot of DVDs!

What I pretty much do now is rip in a virtual machine with DVDFab (which I also own). It's a fantastic product and I've yet to have a bad rip with it! Such a shame they don't produce a Macintosh version.

12. abar20 macrumors newbie

handbrake is too CPU intensive

Handbrake shows up as using like 180% of the CPU in activity monitor. I don't even know how thats possible but I dont like the sound of it. RipIt uses like 3 percent CPU. Plus Handbrake takes FOREVER! the ONLY benefit to handbrake is for converting to ipad/ipod format. In other words it puts the video file into .mp4 which plays on itunes and thus on iphone OS. I don't know if jailbroken iphones play video ts files or if they can run VLC player but who wants the hassle? plus ripit files are like 8GB which isnt fun on a 32 gig ipad. For anyone else considering, use ripit, if you have problems, dont cry about it, just use handbrake in that situation and deal with the fact that your CPU will be overworked for the 4 hours it takes you to copy the video. Ripit would have done it in 30 mins *smile*

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

LOL!!

i am presuming that you have a dual core machine, on macs the computer is assigned 100% PER CPU. so if you have 2xcores, then you have a max of 200% CPU that you can use. 180% CPU from handbrake is fine ;)

i vote for MTR :D

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

OK....a few things

Ripit is a ripper. It copies the dvd exactly (usually around 7 gigs). NOT CPU intensive

Handbrake is an encoder. It converts the dvd to a file (mp4, m4v, avi, etc) that can be played on devices. This is not an exact copy, but an encoding (hence why the files are SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than what RipIt outputs in most cases (unless doing 100% quality or something crazy). Video encoding is always CPU intensive. You WANT handbrake to be CPU intensive. It is a good thing

RipIt and handbrake are not the same beast. They can be used in tandem or one or the other depending on what the end goal is

Goal:
    1) To have a one for one copy of DVD for computer playback and don't mind large files: Use a ripper like PipIt or MTR, etc
    2) If you want a movie to be played back on a device other than a computer (ipod,iphone, ipad, xbox,etc) in a specific format and/or want smaller files that contain just the movie: use an encoder like handbrake

Really???? MTR is so iffy on me with DVD's. RipIt is sooooo much more compatible from my experience

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Wirelessly posted (nokia e63: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Duke: yea man I am in love with mtr. It has been working fine for me. No complaints

16. macrazee macrumors regular

RipIt = garbage (my honest opinion)

Also RipIt uses the Handbrake code in their "Compress" feature !!!

17. Martayjay macrumors newbie

Handbrake 64 vs 32 bit

FYI...The latest best version of Handbrake is 64-bit. It needs you to have VLC in your applications folder to rip DVDs. However, for some reason VLC has discontinued their 64-bit version and only offer the 32-bit right now.

The 64-bit version of Handbrake will NOT work with 32-bit VLC and will emphatically tell you so if you try to use them together.
    So...you can do one of 2 things:

1) Download the 32-bit version of Handbrake and use it with the present 32-bit version of VLC or...

2) Download the 64-bit version of Handbrake and then do a Google search for the 64-bit version of VLC, which is archived somewhere out there on the Net.

#2 is the path I have chosen and it works fine.

18. Wheelie4 macrumors regular

Wheelie4

Theres also the route of using vlc 32bit with fairmount 32bit and drag the video_ts folder to the computer then use handbrake or your encoder preference.

19. macnut1967 macrumors newbie

Ripper

Hi, I want to make copies of DVD's I own so I can play them in my DVD player at my other home. If I understand right HandBrake will convert to a different format but will not circumvent copy protection, so I am unable to burn the video to another disc to play on a DVD player. Can someone give suggestions on a program that will allow me to make copies that can be played in a DVD player. Thanks!

20. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Use any of the rippers quoted below:

from How to backup/copy/rip video DVDs to your HDD and transcode them to another format.

After that, use a DVD burning software like Toast Titanium or Burn to make a video DVD.

PS: Handbrake is not really a "ripper" application, as it transcodes the MPEG-2 video to another format and codec. More info from How to backup/copy/rip video DVDs to your HDD and transcode them to another format.

21. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i prefer the term "convert". transcode implies it is going to stream it off somewhere. :p