Any good DVORAK tutorials?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by miketcool, Feb 7, 2008.

1. miketcool macrumors 6502a

miketcool

I finally tired of the QWERTY layout and decided to take my fathers advice and learn Dvorak. It feels a lot more comfortable, so I am ready for the switch. Can anyone suggest a good tutorial that they have used or tried with success? Specifically one that works well with Leopard? I am using a spare keyboard with a Dvorak arrangement with me MBP. Thanks!

2. macphwoar macrumors newbie

congrats on wanting to try...

choose and practice with Dvorak layout from this
    30 days of demo should do the trick.

here &
    this for inspiration

and this for config

3. JoshHawn macrumors member

i'm ready to learn it too :) i've got my new MacBook Pro's keyboard rearranged to the DVORAK layout, however i am typing this now in QWERTY still. I hope it's not to hard to change muscle memory :S

Wish me luck!

4. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

The whole point is to learn to touch-type. What I did was find a touch-type webpage, and switch my keyboard to Dvorak while running the tutorials and tests. It wasn't designed for Dvorak, but once I got to the common words, sentences, whatever, it didn't matter that much.

I created a printed cheat sheet that I placed on my keyboard above the "F" keys.

I've been using Dvorak for over 10 years, and in either Windows or Mac it's really easy to set up and switch back and forth.

One thing I would recommend is to practice for a bit, and then switch completely. The first couple of weeks were pretty rough because I had programming assignments, but after that, it got much easier. At one point I was as fast with either keyboard, but my Dvorak speed is leaps and bounds above QWERTY.

5. JoshHawn macrumors member

you are an inspiration to me! im typing this in Dvorak at 14 wpm right now. I am learning obj-C now and want to use dvorak to code, have you found it easier to code in dvorak?

6. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

Not at first. The locations for everything changes, including Brackets, braces, punctuation, etc. I had to triple or quadruple time allowances for everything, so I'd have enough buffer to get things done.

Typing in general is easier over the long haul, but it takes a while to get there.

I'm probably doing this at 5-20 WPM because I keep changing what I'm saying. It's just like anything else, difficult at first, but gets easier the more you practice.