Any good experiences w/routers & network disks?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by danny_w, Nov 29, 2007.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

I've been wanting to use a networked disk for backups for my MB and my wife's iMac. I currently use external f/w drives attached directly to each machine. I have looked at the AEBS and AirDisk combo, but there seem to be so very many issues with it (dropped connections, failure to mount, corrupted disks, etc) as noted on various forums, including Apple's. Are there any other routers out there with this functionality that really work? Are there any standalone network drives that work well and don't cost a fortune? I'm more concerned with reliability than with speed. I currently use a Linksys WRT54G that has worked flawlessly with no dropped connections for months on end; I don't want another router (AEBS or otherwise) that is worse. I don't really need 802.11n speeds, but it might be nice to have. I also do not run Leopard, so Time Machine is not a concern, at least right now.

On a side note, does anybody know if SuperDuper! can make a bootable clone on a networked drive? Can a Mac boot from such a networked drive, or does it have to be plugged into the Mac?

2. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601