Any good free virus checkers?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Miqs, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Miqs macrumors member

Miqs

Are there any free virus and file cleaning apps. I tried to use Google Chrome and was informed I had many redundant files and a virus's so didn't proceed. I never bothered before. I see MacKeeper advertised and recommended but costs a bit. Before I authorise I thought I would check here first.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe ClamXav is a decent one, though I don't use one on OS X

3. Miqs thread starter macrumors member

Miqs

Ok neither have I over the years. I saw this and panicked! Do you use any "cleaning" apps as it also said I have many redundant files? I also now hear that MacKeeper is spam. Agree?

4. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

I use ClamX AV and am quite happy with it. I only use the Sentry portion. Its aimed at my downloads and email folders. Any files entering those folders are scanned. I do a system wide scan perhaps once a year.

Sentry appears to use very little resources and has been 100% stable.

I don't worry about viruses from my Mac's pov. But I don't want to relay Windows viruses to those I communicate with. The first time I ran ClamX system wide it found about a dozen Windows viruses in emails.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

Don't use cleaning apps, and especially don't use MacKeeper.
    http://www.imore.com/avoid-mackeeper

6. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

Stay away from MacKeeper!
    What concerns so called "cleaners". You don't really need them, though they can come handy from time to time.
    Disk Doctor (https://fiplab.com/apps/disk-doctor-for-mac) is a good and simple one.

7. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Another vote for ClamXav for pretty much the same reasons. I point it to my downloads, email, and applications folders only

8. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

FWIW, Chrome for the Mac seems to muck everything up, and add in a bunch of crapware. Stick with Safari.

9. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

i've been running Avast for a few yrs, very light on resources..no probs at all

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
    Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.
    You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.
    These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.
    Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance. OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

11. Miqs thread starter macrumors member

Miqs

Thanks very much. Very comprehensive.

Absolutely! I have now uninstalled Chrome due to all the unwanted rubbish! However I have to use an alternative occasionally because of Safari issues with BT so now giving Firefox a try.

12. chrfr macrumors 603

I generally do not use Chrome, but it is a self contained application and doesn't add anything else when it's installed.