Any good game trials?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by David R, May 14, 2010.

1. David R macrumors 6502

With prices ranging $5-$10 for most games, I am not going to go on a spending spree. A bad $0.99 purchase is a bummer, a bad $7 purchase gets old and expensive fast. I have no problem paying good money for a game, but I will not do so blindly.

Unfortunately I can't find a good way to find free/trial games for the iPad in the app store other than to browse randomly.

I've tried some iPhone trials before purchasing the iPad versions, but i'd love to hear the titles for games that have free iPad/universal demos out there.

2. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

I hear ya. I've found watching video reviews on YouTube do a decent job of giving a demo. Granted it's not like playing the game yourself, but you can at least see the app in action and make a decision based on more than a few screenshots.

3. mrdinh macrumors regular

agree ...why are ther less freebees to try now compare with the iphone games

4. jedolley macrumors 68000

Warpgate HD has a free version.

More Free/Trial versions for the iPad games would be really nice. I would also like to see blog/review sites split the iPad App/Games from the iPod/iPhone ones.

Touch Arcade for example is a great site for iPhone/iPod/iPad games info and news, but I really wish they would make a dedicated section for each. They have it setup that way in the forum, but would be nice to have it that way on the main page as well.

I guess what I am really looking for is a place that I can read reviews for apps and not have to wonder or keep remembering if this app is for the iPad or iPhone.

5. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

To be honest, I didn't think it would be very good, but Harbor Master is great fun. It's a free game, with in-app purchases. So you can try it out, see if you like how the game actually works, but then you pay a little bit to get all the features.

Other tips:

Try searching for the word "Lite" or "Free".

Have another look at the App Store. I'm not sure where you are, but on the UK App Store (being viewed via iTunes on Mac) you can see the top paid and top free titles for different categories.

6. golinnybillyson macrumors newbie

any good game trials

On comcast you used to be able to use their game trials for more than an hour as long as it was in one sitting, but now they kick you off like yahoo and others.

7. David R thread starter macrumors 6502

I found a free Universal trial called Implode Lite. Lots of fun!

I do check toucharcade most everyday, but iPad reviews are few and far between.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

+2 for Harbor Master but I paid for the app and bought the new map only to find ads in my paid app. :rolleyes:

9. nattylux macrumors member

Hi Jessica,

I'm one of the developers of Harbor Master. Paying for a new level should absolutely disable ads. If you are still seeing ads, please email us at support at imangi dot com. If we are having this bug, we'd love your help to get to the bottom of it.

Thanks,

Natalia