Any good gamepads for Macs?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacBook08, Nov 1, 2008.

1. MacBook08 macrumors regular

Well, I've recently discovered that the new MacBook has great gaming capabilities so I have decided to buy a new gamepad for it.

What is the best gamepad out there for a casual gamer (with a middle-class budget)? Thanks.

2. speed12 macrumors regular

I'd say get a used PS2 controller and a PS2 to USB adapter. Works great and PS2 controllers are easily the most comfortable! Cheap as well!

3. MacBook08 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. Yeah, I love PS2 controllers. Do I need any additional software or drivers for it? And I'm wondering, could a Mac use an XBOX 360 controller as well (I'm a little more used to 360 controllers)?

4. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

Are you gaming in Windows? I'm pretty sure that you can get a XBox 360 controller to work with Windows. You just need an adaptor. Do you already have a 360 controller?

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The best gamepad that money can buy is the Xbox 360 controller. You can buy a wired USB version which will work with Windows using a driver (I believe there are also unofficial drivers available for OS X) or you can get a Wireless version which includes a USB dongle and Windows driver (again, unofficial OS X drivers are available).

Don't consider any other gamepads - this is now the standard for Windows games with many new titles including out of the box support for this great pad.

6. MacBook08 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I do but it's wireless. Do they sell an adapter by itself for the wireless 360 controller? Also, I found something called XBOX HID Driver. Will this let me use the controller on a Mac?

P.S. I'll be gaming in Leopard.

7. toastr macrumors member

You mean there Xbox HID drver here: http://xhd.sourceforge.net/ ? If so, yes that works well with games in Mac OS X :) Works great with MAME too :D

Also you can get a usb receiver to connect to a wireless Xbox 360 controller. It goes for around USD$20 (http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1225593749&sr=8-11)

For Xbox 360 controllers, use Tattiebogle's driver for it to work with Mac OS X: http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver#toc0 – it works with both wired and wireless controllers

Hope this helps :)

8. MacBook08 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks so much toastr. This is some great information! I can't wait to start!