Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zipper1022

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2006
Long Island, NY/ Boston, MA
ive been attemptin to run apollo im for a few days now with no sucess, it sucks,
if i get a new im from someone it crashes, if i press the wrong person and quickly press back it crashes, that thing is terrible

i tried meebo.com for a little while but meebo is wildly bad too, it always says my connection has been interrupted and takes forever to load though edge...

is there no other option?

what do you people use?

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
ive been attemptin to run apollo im for a few days now with no sucess, it sucks,
if i get a new im from someone it crashes, if i press the wrong person and quickly press back it crashes, that thing is terrible

i tried meebo.com for a little while but meebo is wildly bad too, it always says my connection has been interrupted and takes forever to load though edge...

is there no other option?

what do you people use?

BeeJive

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
I disagree with your opinion of Meebo.com. I've always been thoroughly impressed with meebo's iPhone interface. Perhaps you just live in an area in which EDGE is awful, because Meebo has always worked like a champ for me.

Your best bet will probably be to wait until February when someone hopefully releases an IM client.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I assume that you've tried mobilechat, which is available in Installer? I haven't had a problem with apollo. I did notice that when I install summerboard, tons of apps start crashing. Do you have summerboard installed?

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I've tried both Apollo, Meebo, and MobileChat, and I like MobileChat the best. It does a decently good job of maintaining the connection, and it has the best interface.

tobefirst...you might check to see if you're running the latest version of summerboard. When I first installed it a week and a half ago, tons of my stuff was crashing too until an update came out a few days later. Now nothing has crashed in over a week.

brando88

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
For now, I am too using MobileChat for a few reasons. Number one is the connection and interface, but the main reason is that it is the only chat app that is going to be continually updated. (Apollo's dev team claims the project has stopped)

I am not too sure about a chat app coming in the future either, as ATT is worried about it using up way to cell"bandwidth"

granka

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
I would have to say Mobilechat, Ive been using it for months now and it works great. I tried out Apollo before Mobilechat and I hated it.

ThomasShaped

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
Glasgow
Does MobileChat have MSN/Yahoo etc. or is it just AIM/iChat?

EDIT: just found their site, the newest release supports AIM, .Mac, ICQ, GTalk, MSN, yes?

zipper1022

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2006
I downloaded mobile chat and I worked good for a little now it keeps crashing and shutting itself down when I log on.... Idk... I'm getting fed up with this whole thing, come on iPhone I love it so much but the instant message aspect is a bit poopy

outz

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
yeah... i had a horrible time with mobilechat. it would crash every 45 seconds or so... had to go back to apollo.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
For those of you with WORKING chat programs, can you list

iPhone Firmware version:
App name:
Stability:

Cartaphilus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
Another Satisfied Beejive User

Like Tymmz, I've been using Beejive's program, "JiveTalk for iPhone". To use it, just point the Safari browser on the iPhone to http://iphone.beejive.com. Simple as that.

Somebody posted about it here in July, and I've been using it with no problems since.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
For those of you with WORKING chat programs, can you list

iPhone Firmware version:
App name:
Stability:

MobileChat
100% stable with AIM; crashed hard when I tried to add my Google Apps chat account. Crashed the whole phone, actually.

MobileChat is the one to watch though since there is ongoing development. Apollo's interface breaks when you type more than one line.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Both Apollo and mChat have been 100% stable for me on all firmware versions. Apollo is better for me because it lets you log MSN and AIM in at the same time.

Im guessing both apps have been stopped until the SDK drops, and then they will continue.

pacohaas

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
no problems with either native IM app, but I prefer meebo.

The native apps lack an auto-reconnect that is really needed for native IMing. For now, meebo does the job for quick IM sessions.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
no problems with either native IM app, but I prefer meebo.

The native apps lack an auto-reconnect that is really needed for native IMing. For now, meebo does the job for quick IM sessions.

Tried MobileChat on 1.1.2, seems to be ok with AIM.

MobileChat does have an setting, where you can choose to let it auto-reconnect.

pacohaas

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
MobileChat does have an setting, where you can choose to let it auto-reconnect.
Yeah, but it doesn't work right when switching between EDGE and WiFi.

edit: just had MobileChat crash the entire phone when disconnecting, i'm sticking with meebo for now

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
I have serious problems connecting with ALL THREE as I have a huge contact list and the iPhone Apps seem to freeze and meebo seems to load about a quarter of my contact list and nothing else!

zipper1022

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2006
I started using iPhone.beejive, it seems to be the best alternative for me.

Mobilchat loves to crash
Apollo crashes before I log in
meebo.com sucks

Beejive is okay but sometimes crashes safari, other then that it is okay as long as the edge signal is strong

Is there no other option?

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
my problem with them is that when you get a text message, they go link dead without letting you know they went offline. Your buddy list still shows up, yet, you cant send a message to anyone and them actually receive it. Also, you appear offline at this point to everyone else too.

Only way to test it is to send someone a message and see if their away message replies to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.