Any good Mac desktop icon organizers?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by meget, Dec 21, 2011.

1. meget macrumors member

Hello,

Is there any good Mac desktop organizer. Both paid or free? I found this one: http://berokyo.com/mac/en/index.html

but not sure if it is any good, or if there is anything better? Got a lot of icons, need some way to keep them comfy on my desktop. Please advise :p

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This works fine for me, since I use stacks on the Dock, rather than clutter my desktop with a bunch of icons.
    ScreenCap 30.PNG

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yeah, I think a large majority of Mac users keep the Desktop relatively "empty". I've also seen lots of posts on problems with CandyBar, though I've never tried it. Maybe it's just for graphics, not organization.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree! I can't count the number of threads that have been posted from users who "customized" their Dock or Desktop or other things to the point they were having problems with their system. The more customization you do, the more you increase the possibility of problems, not to mention the fact that some of the extra "bells and whistles" result in performance impact and reduction of battery life from a charge.

5. meget thread starter macrumors member

I am a previous windows user, and hated every mac user on the planet, coz they seems way to happy, one day i made a move to a macbook pro early 2011, shortly after upgraded it to 8GB RAM, and officially thought of myself as an idiot, having denied the pleasures of mac for so long. :)

I like the way mac allows you to customize stuff, thats why i asked for cool ways.

Special thanks to GGJstudios. I didn't use your suggestion but i found a Snap to Grid option, which basically makes the desktop so much more organized. :p Thank you, at least its not a mess and all aligned now.

I am sure in due time i will empty my desktop, but well i come from windows and you know what a mess desktops are there, besides i only have 25 icons or so :p

If you got any more ideas shoot them here, but yeah snap to grid function, loving it! :)

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yeah, I think the OS has enough organizational power on its own for what you're needing that to do. I'd suggest moving things to the Documents folder and organizing them in sub-folders. Using the Dock or aliases on the Desktop is better for performance than 100 files on the Desktop. Some say it won't slow the computer down noticeably, others insist it does.

7. meget thread starter macrumors member

Thanks people, glad to have found snap to grid :p

And lost some movies, thank god to time machine (amazing thing that is). I don't think there is anything better than a mac ;)

In any case i will agree on the performance bit, i am sure apple didn't have any icons on the desktop for a reason to begin with :)

8. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

You can also use Aliases (think of windows shortcuts in the windows explorer, and your there) to tidy away a lot of the random files that you get. Personally my desktop only has a maximum 10 icons on it i think at any one point in time, most of those are shortcuts to files linked somewhere else... ;)
    http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=317215&stc=1&d=1324697580

Also in Finder Preferences (CMD+,) you have the ability to turn on/off the hard drives/servers/external disks/ipods being viewed as well. Personally i have got everything turned off, my workflow means that i can get to the Hard Drive in one key command, and probably find the thing I'm looking for in 3-4. http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=317214&stc=1&d=1324697580

Hope those help a bit

Attached Files:

9. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Stack?

Why don't just create another stack on the dock for your files you want to access quickly? This way you can access your files just as quick but also keep your desktop from being a mess.