Any good MAPS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vivithemage, Sep 9, 2008.

1. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

I want actual maps for cities, so when I travel to Europe this winter I can look on my iphone instead of pulling out a huge map...

I tried uploading high res pictures, but they distored and shrank on the iphone...is there an app at all that can do maps of cities, and tube systems like London, Prague, Munich, etc?

2. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

3. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

But I will not have an internet connection, or data connection over there...that is why I need something hardbased that I do not have to leech of the net for.

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Making your own is one option. Find a nice sized image of the map you want, then cut it up in a photo editor into 320x480 blocks. Sync to photos. Boom.

5. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

I was hoping for something simpiler...say an app that lets you view high res photos, and zoom, scroll, etc around them...kind of like safari lets you do to sites.

6. andy007 macrumors regular

I dont know if this will help you but the App Datacase (i think theres a small price) lets you put documents on to your phone like PDFs, Jpegs etc. You can then view your files and zoom in on them. Keeps a good resolution on the PDFs i use. Might be worth a try if you can download some maps from somewhere like google maps.

7. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

I have good map jpegs already...any chance you can test a jpeg out for me on the iphone and see how a high res 3000x3000 resoluation JPEG looks?

8. trihard macrumors member

Hi Res Image

I will be traveling to Munich next month and would love to be able to do this as well. Vivthemage, would you be willing to share your high res image of Munich?

9. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

not a problem, hopefully it will work that app he was talking about.

I have a map of the city streets in Munich, as well as the local tram/tube/train/subway station.

10. trihard macrumors member

Thanks

Thanks! You can Email them to me at laborcoach@mac.com

11. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

there is a problem when you put photos onto the iphone - the syncing process screws up the resolution so you can't see any detail on train maps. I've tried it. :( Any workarounds?

12. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

I am hoping Andy can try out that purchasable app for me..and let me know if it works.

13. andy007 macrumors regular

Ok ive trust tried using Datacase to upload some maps and zoom in. I also found Air Sharing on the app store which does the same thing but is free.

Both of these apps have got a zoom limit on unfortunately. The pictures below show the london tube map fully zoomed out and fully zoomed in. The zoom doesn't normally distort the images but i could not find a high resolution map to try this on. These images are from the app Air Sharing and allows documents to be viewed landscape and portrait.

IMG_0003.PNG

IMG_0004.PNG

Hope this helps

14. dazey macrumors 6502

if you jailbreak then you can use offlinemaps (in cydia). Lets you download massive maps for use in the maps application. I have london, UK (not down to smallest zoom), France (not down to smallest zoom) and Moscow so far. Was a godsend in Moscow! (you can use it with GPS and no data connection)

15. mrjarvie macrumors member

where do i download the maps for use with offlinemaps? does anyone know how to get GMDL? I tried adding the source for it in installer but installer 4 sucks right now). what is the best way to make my own google maps, with all zoom levels. obviously it would be most helpful if i could download areas.

any help would be appreciated here.

16. Aurial macrumors 6502

Just a quick side-note, I know you haven't decided on using Air Sharing as your solution yet but you might want to grab it from the App Store quickly just in case you do. I believe it's only free for about a month and then they're going to charge for it. It's been on there a while now so I wouldn't be suprised if they start charging any day.

17. jr3 macrumors newbie

Maps

I came across this forum looking for the exact same thing.

I eventually found this link: http://www.med44.com/metro/

That page provides high quality PDF's of Subways across the world in PDF format.

I echo another poster about the Air Sharing App. Download Air Sharing and put the PDF's of the Subway systems you want to see - you can then zoom all around the document.

Works like a charm.