Any Gorillapod camera tripod users out there?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by colmaclean, Jul 31, 2009.

1. colmaclean macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    This looks like a pretty neat addition...

Fortunately if you already have the 'pod, you can buy the sucker fitting as a stand-alone accessory.

Don't know if I'd trust it on my bike, though!
  2. Pointer macrumors regular

Jun 19, 2007
    Would also be interested to hear from anyone who uses one of these with an iPhone 3GS.
  3. jjk454ss macrumors 601

Jul 10, 2008
    I love mine for my camera. I will probably get the adapter for my iPhone, but I wish it was an actual clipon that holds the phone, not a suction cup.
  4. Ding.Dong macrumors regular

Jun 18, 2008
    Los Angeles
    According to the website, it's not available until August 10.

That looks really cool and I'd buy it in a second if it wasn't for the suction cup attachment. I'd much prefer a clip. I just don't trust a suction cup to hold my iPhone securely.
  5. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

Nov 3, 2006
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/530.19.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.2 Safari/530.19)

The hell? I had this (or a version of this) when it was called the "Gorillapod Go-Go".

I use my Gorillapod go-Go just about every day.

The Go-Go came with the suction cup head. but ALSO with a permanent 3M sticky head attachment which is what I use. I stuck the permanent attachment to the back of a Contour Slider case so the connector isn't permanently on my iPhone.

Works GREAT! I use it for watching movies on my lunch break. If I'm in the lunch room I stand it up, or sometimes I'll eat lunch in my car and I wrap it around the steering wheel, recline the seat and enjoy 55 mins away from the world.
  6. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Jun 16, 2009
    Windermere, FL
    I love my Gorillapod for my P&S camera, but I'm not sure about using just a suction cup to hold my iPhone. It's a cool concept, though.
  7. Pointer macrumors regular

Jun 19, 2007
    Well I picked up an original gorillapod from eBay for £10 (Inc. shipping) and have pre-ordered the mobile kit from for a very reasonable £8, again including shipping. Thought it was fantastic that the shipping for the kit from the USA to the UK was just $3, well done Joby, too many firms rip people off on the shipping.

So £18 all in, we shall wait and see how it performs!
  8. Pointer macrumors regular

Jun 19, 2007
    Well Joby shipped out the mobile accessory kit earlier this week so I'm hoping to receive that next week and will feedback on how it goes.
  9. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    A suction cup should be ok. My TomTom has never fallen off the windscreen after many 1000's of miles of rough roads.
  10. Gin Gin macrumors regular

Gin Gin

Jun 22, 2009
    I just got this last week. Mine was called the Gorillapod go-go, but as far as I can tell it's the exact same product. Came with 1 suction cup mount, 2 permanent adhesive mounts, and 1 screw mount for a small digi cam. The suction cup seems to hold well, but I don't trust it enough. My Garmin suction mount in the car comes loose all the time. I plan to sacrifice one of my cases and attach one of the permanent adhesive mounts to that.
  11. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Jan 14, 2008
    I bought one for use with a small camera in the car, and on the bike.

I used it once or twice and decided it was not worth the risk it represented to the camera.

It's now in a box of Photography Gadgets that will rarely get used.

Wrapped around handle bars it really did not 'grip' all that well.

Others may have had different experiences.