Any graphic designers here?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ivinho, Nov 23, 2008.

1. ivinho macrumors member

I'm looking to buy a new MBP in December with the following specs:

2.53 CPU ( or 2.8 if its worth it)
    4GB RAM
    250GB 7200 RPM

The primary purpose of the notebook will be for design. I will mostly be running these Adobe products simultaneously: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver and some Flash. I also hope to play the occasional game and watch movies. I've always been a PC user and I only use Mac in school.

It seems that the design world is MAC based, and Im ok with that but I could get a more powerful laptop for about the same cost if I go the windows way.
    Im hoping someone can share their experience with a MBP when it comes to design. If I get a windows laptop, Im worried about compatibility with typefaces and transferring files from PC to MAC etc.

Also, has anyone used adobe CS4? Does it use the GPU? I sometimes work with 500MB to 1 GB files. I can't wait for a new model because Im going away for a month and I need to keep working.

Thanks a lot.

2. ecko5 macrumors newbie

i use cs4 on my 2.53ghz 4gb 320 5400 rpm

and it runs very smoothly. i have the master collection but i haven't used premiere yet. i won't be doing so till dec. come video taping holiday stuff for local schools.

3. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

i use cs4 and more on a new mbp 2.4/4gbram
    and on a 1.9/2gbram hp... no problems

4. pavenger macrumors regular

I have been using all of CS4 design standard on my new MPB (2.53ghz, 4gb ram, 320 Gb HD @ 5200rpm) and it works like a charm. everything runs smooth and flawlessly. go for the mac. you'll be happy you did. I myself have never had to switch from PC to mac (started with the apple SE) but from what i have heard from a couple people its really not too bad and they have yet to have any problems with compatibility that they have mentioned.

5. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I am a graphic designer. I don't mind Windows based computers, but for design, it's Mac all the way. For the occasion that I need something Windows based, I just log into Bootcamp. You pay more... but it's worth it. Most of the design and photography community are on Macs. If you show up with a Windows machine, people just assume you are mis-informed or can't afford to buy the best.

Now that I said that, there are something that are better on Windows or Linux. The first thing that comes to mind is high-end editing (Avid) or pretty much anything to do with highend 3d... although Apple is closing the gap on that too. For video editing it's hard to beat Final Cut Studio and that will only run on a Mac.

And finally, the gap between functionality has narrowed and most service bureaus and print shops take jobs from either platform. Just don't try to deliver a print job laid out in Word. :D

6. kasakka macrumors 68000

Only Photoshop uses the GPU. Haven't tried it on a Mac but I imagine it should work just fine. CS4 is IMO somewhat crap because there's less coherence between the apps: only PS uses the GPU, PS and Illustrator have different gradient tools (the new one in Illustrator is excellent though) and so on. The only thing that really brings them together is that the installer is straight from hell.

Since the Adobe programs are the same for Windows and OSX, IMO there is nothing about the Macs that makes it superior for design work.

7. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Except the sheer stability of them...

I've been using them for 5+ years to do design work. At my new job I have to use a PC, I almost didn't take the job because of it, but it pays well. It blows to have to use the PC though...it's so inflexible comparted to the Mac. Thank goodness I do freelance and get to use my Mac for what I love when I get home.

Go Mac. You'll be MUCH happier that you did.

8. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

it's going to run fine on the macbook pro. I designed a program last year on my HP Core 2 Duo laptop (2gigs ram, nvidia graphics) and it went well. So it will be fine on your macbook pro

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Up until recently I used a PB G4 for my web work.

10. DYER macrumors 6502

Well I have design premium CS4 on my MBP (see specs in sig) and it runs faster than my windows rig which is pretty bloody powerfull.
    Its impressively fast doubly so for a notebook i was making a panorama on here in PS and the total file size was about 1.65 GB and it did it with no fuss whatsoever.... im impressed to say the least.

11. andrewisnot macrumors member

andrewisnot

Works better than I imagined before I got this computer. CS3 suite running here. No problems even at 2 GB of RAM. I keep meaning to upgrade to 4 GB but haven't felt the need yet.

12. rubah macrumors newbie

Photoshop in CS3 tends to make my MBP heat up a lot when using certain tools; 40-60% cpu on both cores is not uncommon. Mine is a 2006 2.16ghz model, and I haven't used CS4.

It doesn't lag any, it just gets really really really hot. (85C with 2000rpm fans, 73ish at 5000 rpm)

13. jamestemroot macrumors member

No problems at all. MBP and adobe products have been working fine for years, if you're going for aftereffects and motion graphics, then you might want to reconsider for a desktop with more power, but any other app runs fast and smoothly.

14. ivinho thread starter macrumors member

Thank you everyone for responding.
    On a related note, do apple stores give student discounts or is that for online purchases only? Also, on apple's site, the return policy says that you cannot return a build-to-order item. So if I buy online and upgrade the CPU to 2.8, i cant return it? Thanks again

15. DYER macrumors 6502

you can get the discount in store i now 100% in the UK and im 95% sure in the US as well. I bought a BTO MBP and luckily didnt need to give it back allthough i researched exactly what i wanted so i knew i didnt want to give it back

16. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

I have a 2.8 4GB 320GB HDD 7200 and running CS4 illustrator and PS at the same time is amazing.

I was running CS3 on my old 2.0 BlackBook and even that was nice :)

Youll have no problems :)

Enjoy