Any graphic designers use AT&T tethering?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ZZANG, Mar 7, 2011.

1. ZZANG macrumors regular

ZZANG

I am on the unlimited plan and keep bouncing back and forth what to do. I typically find myself at work needing Internet on base on my MBP about three hours a day max 5 days a week.

I'm concerned about going over use. I upload and download designs, YouTube videos, syncing MobileMe, visiting sites, sometimes streaming music or videos.

What is YOUR average honest use of work with the data pro plan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I had to tether for about 2 months on the new job until I got network access. Doing light web surfing and emails during the day, I hit about 5.5 gigs for the month. This was before I joined the jailbreak+mywi phenomenon though, so I paid out the bazooga for the overage charges past 2GB.

If you have the unlimited, you should definitely consider Jailbreaking and installing MyWi (a $20 one-time purchase). Jailbreaking is very easy to do now-a-days. Especially since PwnageTool is untethered for all 4.2.1 devices now :)

3. ZZANG thread starter macrumors regular

ZZANG

So, how often each day did you use the tethering? I would only be using perhaps 3 hours a day...

4. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Jailbreak the phone and use it. You have an unlimited plan!

5. ZZANG thread starter macrumors regular

ZZANG

How do jailbreak users deal with data backup on apps and iOS upgrades?

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Probably about 4 hours a day. What I think really upped it is that my consulting firm uses Exchange, so I was on a tethered Microsoft Exchange connection in Outlook. Given that it syncs often (disabled cache mode), I'll bet that exchange was using probably 30% of the daily bandwidth.

Still, I was purposely avoiding news pages with video, Pandora, and Youtube. If you're intending to use sites such as these, don't get stuck in the AT&T data cap :eek:

7. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Data backup for itunes/app store purchases works the same way. And you still sync/backup your phone with iTunes.

As far as the jailbreak iOS upgrades go, you have to wait until a jailbreak is released for the particular revision. 4.2.1 took awhile for new 3GS and iP4 (last week), but there's already a hack for 4.3 available (not released yet so Apple can't patch it before the OS release).

The way that I do upgrades on my phone is just do a restore using iTunes with an IPSW (iOS) made from PwnageTool with the new version on it. iTunes will then reinstall regular apps, and restore other data. Then Cydia will recognize your phone and allow you to redownload the jailbreak apps.

8. ZZANG thread starter macrumors regular

ZZANG

Well I talked with AT&T and they are saving me "5" bucks to include the 4gig data pro - and free cell to cell and 700 minutes. They put in the notes if I'm not satisfied in 30 days I'll just revert back to my unlimited data plan.

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Hope it works out!

10. ZZANG thread starter macrumors regular

ZZANG

Thanks buddy. At least they are giving me options.

11. zephxiii macrumors 6502

Why would you disable cached mode?

12. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Trust me not my choice. Company disabled it via registry restrictions.

13. thebubbatex macrumors regular

I was going to ask the same thing because I have 2 Exchange accounts and they use very little bandwidth while tethering. Interesting decision on their part - I guess they have a lot of employees they don't trust!