Any guesses about a new apple tv?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by itsjustmeee, Dec 20, 2009.

1. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

So Apple TV has been around a while now with only software updates. I'm curious to see what others think. Will there be some sort of hardware update announcement in January? Is it a good time to buy an Apple TV right now or wait a month and see what happens first?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I would wait. There are no rumors currently about the ATV but I semi-suspect the lapse in rumors is due to the over-excitement about a Tablet. Though I would recommend just getting a Mini for a home thetre.

3. mhdena macrumors 6502

I say get one, in fact if you would have got one last year this time you would have enjoyed it for a year:D

4. robotartfashion macrumors 6502

I don't see a refresh coming any time soon. The current Apple TV fits Apple's needs which is ALL that Apple is concerned with. It plays iTunes digital downloads and Apple doesn't plan on offering 1080p content any time soon and therefore don't care about a more powerful machine.

The only refresh I would see coming is if they need something new or different for the possibly rumored "cable replacement service" that iTunes may begin offering.

Buy one now if it does what you want :)

5. Camaro6700 macrumors member

I would like to see maybe the tablet replace the Apple TV. Providing a dock for the tablet to sit in along with a USB port that would be open to an external HD for added space. This way it allows you to take your tablet to watch movies or tv shows without having to sync like you do with the iPhone or iTouch. I doubt this is what will happen but it is what I would like.

6. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Sounds like a really expensive way to get content from my office to the TVs in my bedroom and living room.

7. zedsdead macrumors 68040

The hardware in the Apple TV is over 3 years old (and it was outdated when it was brand new). Apple has provided software updates over those 3 years periodically, but the hardware simply can't really keep up with the software demands. It is very sluggish and overdue. Will we get one, who knows.

8. itsjustmeee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bottom line is that I've decided to get one, but I think it would be the prudent thing to just wait a few more weeks and see what Apple announces in january just in case.

9. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Honestly I don't foresee anything in January. The 3.0 Software came out just a few weeks ago.

10. nutmac macrumors 68040

I think 3.0 update doesn't mean anything other than that Apple TV team is still alive.

If you ask me, I think Apple is just trying to clear older 160 GB inventory before announcing mildly refreshed Apple TV hardware (e.g., more up-to-date but low-end CPU/GPU, slightly larger SATA hard disk, gigabit ethernet, aluminum remote).