Any guesses on which 3rd Party cases Uncle Steve will pay for?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by xraytech, Jul 17, 2010.

1. xraytech macrumors 68030

Steve said he will source out some cases, but which ones?

2. troop231 macrumors 603

Hong Kong POS's lol

3. willmiz macrumors member

Why is everyone assuming hong-kong junk? Why not the typical 3rd party fare that is sold at the stores?

4. xraytech thread starter macrumors 68030

5. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

i know for a fact that contour and incase has a great relationship with apple

hopefully something of this nature

6. RBfKC10 macrumors member

A free Speck Pixelskin HD or Candyshell would be excellent. Having said that, I think there is probably a bidding war of epic proportions going on right now, with all of the third party manufacturers jockeying for a spot on the "free case" list.

7. lordking65 macrumors regular

HEY! WAIT A MINUTE!! LOOKS LIKE ILL BE GETTING AN INCASE SLIDER, if uncle steve pays for it...

8. kuaiyouming, Jul 17, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  9. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

Yeah, I bet InCase is involved. They are the apple of accessory manufacturers. Good stuff but a bit overpriced. Haha.

10. 8mpg macrumors regular

This isnt going to be very expensive for them. They will hook up with a manufacturer and work out a contract. Apple isnt going to pay anything remotely close to retail prices. Just like their bumper that costs >$1 to make and sells for $30...these cases will be the same. They will probably work a deal for cases to cost apple $2-3 from a third party manufacturer.

11. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

Just like Apple does with the bumper, case makers make a good profit off cases. Do you really think it costs Incase anywhere near $35 to make a Slider case? 99.9% chance its under $5 including costs for materials and packaging.

Apple is already buying cases for retail at wholesale price. Companies like Speck and Incase will probably cut them a even better price.

12. BlueGummiBear macrumors 6502a

BlueGummiBear

I completely agree with this and I too am expecting a total fail repeat like on pre-order day. Potential of 3+ million iPhone 4 user's trying to get a free case all at the same time... :eek:

13. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I plan to get a store credit for the bumper I bought on launch day. However my dad is getting his iP4 today and I am hoping he can get a Griffin Reveal for free. Though I'll be setting his phone up for him when I go visit him next Wed-Fri. Somehow I doubt any sort of program Apple puts together will allow for setup, shipping, and delivery of is free case in 10 days time. :(

14. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

Whatever the choices are they will have a similar cost to sell ration as the bumper....Cost = $3, Sell = $30. I'm guessing they will be some Hong Fong case made in a rubber dog crap factory in China.

Steve

15. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I bet not even half of the current owners even know Apple is giving out free cases. Not everyone follows these things rabidly.

I'm not sure Apple is going to even use branded third parties. They might just design their own different types of cases and employ factories overseas like they're doing now with the bumpers.

16. spades1412 macrumors 6502

I loved the Incase slider for my 3GS. I am waiting for it to be released for the 4. It would be awesome to get one for free.

17. xraytech thread starter macrumors 68030

That would take to long to put one out to market. A lot faster to buy a container ship of cases than to design, prototype, produce and distribute a new case.