Any guesses what the AT&T rates for tethering will be?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by psingh01, Apr 12, 2009.

1. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Assuming they start supporting tethering (we already know it works in the 3.0 beta OS), what do you think the rates will be?

I have Sprint 3G right now but will likely end the service soon. Might pickup the tethering option if it's not too expensive.

2. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

3. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

$60/month for data+tethering would be my guess

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

5. britboyj macrumors 6502a

There will probably be a data cap too, just like AT&T's "unlimited" aircards.

5GB.

6. psingh01 thread starter macrumors 65816

This is the only thing that makes me want to keep my Sprint account. They have a 5GB cap too, but I've had an account since it was a real "unlimited" account and so far they've left it unlimited for me.

7. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

For goodness sake people, the iPhone data is priced the EXACT SAME AS EVERY OTHER SMARTPHONE ON ATT!

Which means it will be $60 for data + tethering.

8. psywzrd macrumors 68030

You can always jailbreak and use PDANet to tether - that's one-time $29 fee and it's super easy to set up. I know you asked about what AT&T's rates will be but this is a good alternative if you want to save a few hundred dollars per year.

9. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

or if you have a mac, you can jailbreak and use iPhonemodem for free ;)

Just don't torrent and don't go on it like crazy.

10. britboyj macrumors 6502a

Modem sucks. It crashes all the time and I've had serious issues getting it to work with all my applications.

PDANet is well worth the one-time $29 fee. It works wonders, is easy to run, easy to manage and fantastic to boot.

I'll be waiting until 3.0 is jailbroken to update.

11. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

The problem I'm seeing with this is that once tethering is officially supported, they will probably have ways to tell if a user is using the service (be it via pdanet or the native tether in 3.0) and paying for it or not. Thus if the user is not paying and using it, they'll make him pay! :S

Fabian

12. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

exactly. just look at t-mobile and android. the tethering apps were allowed to exist for a while but eventually they were pulled. it is not crazy to think that the same could happen to the iphone.

13. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Considering how long pdanet has been around and how many people use it, I wouldn't be too worried about it. I haven't seen any reports of people getting in trouble for using pdanet.

14. LoganT macrumors 68020

15. cere macrumors 6502

One of the few times I can say I am glad I am with Rogers/Fido in Canada as my provider. They explicitly state in their ToS that tethering is allowed in their data plans.

My guess for AT&T is the same as most others: $30 for data plus tethering. If you they do the $10 add-on as rumored, I would still think this is too much. Data is data. You are paying for a data plan, why should they charge you more for tethered data. Just because you are apt to use more? With that logic, they should be refunding you every month for using less than 5GB.

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

For other phones they charge $30 for data and $30 for tethering on top of that.

What makes you think the iPhone would be cheaper than what they currently do?

17. cere macrumors 6502

Nothing at all. I actually meant to type $30 for data and $30 for tethering, but left the last bit off for some reason. The part about if they were to charge $10 for tethering was simply to say even that would be too much. Takes a lit of gall to charge users more just because they are more likely to use the data they have already paid for.

18. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

you never know when att will decide to start enforcing their policies. so far they have been letting people slide with incorrect data plans and unofficial tethering but eventually they will realize how much money they are losing and crackdown.