Any guesses when the next iMac will be out?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by danny_w, Jun 25, 2013.

1. danny_w, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013

danny_w macrumors 601

I know it is all speculation at this point, but the reason I am asking is that the Buyer's Guide says to wait because it is nearing the end of its cycle.However the last iMac was release 207 days ago in November 2012, and the time before that was 577 days!! If Apple keeps to that cycle it will be over a year before we see the next update. My late 2007 iMac is running fine but slow (mostly I think because of the 4MB RAM limitation) and I would really like to update to something faster; it is my main computer and runs my iTunes library (from a locally attached FW disk) for my :apple:TV downstairs. I thought about just getting an MBA and leaving the iMac as-is, but I really cannot stand to work on a laptop (bad eyesight) so my thought is to get a new iMac and an iPad; this would give me a faster main computer and server, and the iPad could be used for remote access from downstairs. Another possibility that I don't like as much is a Mac Mini downstairs direct attached to my Time Capsule (moving the iTunes library to the TC) and an iPad; this might work better as a server (my iMac is attached wirelessly upstairs and the :apple:TV is direct attached to the TC downstairs).

EDIT: I would be interested in the new iMac primarily for the faster wireless (I would update my TC also if that happened).

2. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

The 577 wasn't a typical refresh time. I wouldn't look for it to be that again, or even anywhere near it. I'd say every 350-400 days will become typical.

3. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Oh joy .....

Another waiting for the next iMac thread!

I love these threads because of the amount of speculation that gets done.

4. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

I agree it was not typical but 350 days is still 5 months in the future. I will probably look for a used or refurb in that case.

5. chuckiehina macrumors member

I am not sure how much of a factor it is but for the last "release in November 2012" was a bit uncommon since while the official release was November, that was more marketing to get into the Christmas market. They didn't begin shipping in real quantaties untill sometime much later. The lag (between official release date and actually being readly avaliable) for this particular release appeared to particularly drawn out.

6. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

Last note from the "experts" indicated July but who knows for sure.

7. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

Why does the Apple refurb site say it's an October 2012 release?

8. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

9. mrmarts, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

mrmarts macrumors 65816

10. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

This year.

11. Bear macrumors G3

That is when the current iMacs were announced.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Maybe not even then. The current iMac was rolled out in November of 2012, yet wasn't really available to most people until early 2013. I could see apple holding off until early 2014

I would hope that they do refresh the line before the Christmas rush, mostly because I'll be buying one for my kids then ;)

13. KaraH macrumors 6502

Same here but I do not have kids. I want to buy in the fall because I can maximise the $$ back on my discover card. :)

Ideal would be a July/August silent update. That would get the flood of early purchasers out of the way so I have minimal time between my order and being charged. Also the hope that it comes with OSX Mavericks of course.

14. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

I don't know if my current problems are wifi speeds or something else, but I suspect wifi. As I said, my TC is downstairs wired to my :apple:TV and modem, with my iMac upstairs connected wirelessly (with the iTunes library on a FW disk connected to the iMac). If I stream a movie/video to the :apple:TV there is (usually) no problem, but when my wife attempts to Airplay a video from here iPad sometimes it won't work (but w/o AirPlay it works on just the iPad). Since in this scenario the iPad is having to stream the video wirelessly from the internet, and then stream it back wirelessly to the :apple:TV (and perhaps the iMac in the middle, I don't know AirPlay that well?) that takes up more wireless bandwidth; I don't know if this is why it fails or not. I understand from others on this forum that the signal strength and speed is much better on the new TC even for older devices using 802.11n, so that might be worth considering.

15. AGamble macrumors member

I'm hoping its soon, I have the money now but don't want to buy if an update is a month or two off (or so the rumours have you believe).

16. ftkfriendlyfire macrumors newbie

iMac release (Guess)

Alright, so I made a thread last week wanting to buy an iMac. I'm still waiting because everybody keeps talking like there is going to be an update soon. Let's start little gambling thread minus the actual gambling and pick a date when they think the release will be. closest to the date wins. Here's my pick:

07/04/2013

17. jmhart macrumors regular