Any guestimates when HD DVD / BluRay become standard in computers?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sk8ordie, Dec 13, 2007.

1. sk8ordie macrumors regular

sk8ordie

Any guestimates when HD DVD / BluRay (read/write) become standard in computers? Im getting the urge to get a new computer (24" iMac looks amazing) but I would rather wait until it is standard in all computers, Mac and PC.

Any educated guesses? I have no idea.

2. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

It will be a while, methinks. In 2008 we'll probably see more of them, maybe standard in early 2009? Thats just me guessing.

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. If it becomes so crucial that you have one, one word: external :)

3. Sir Tony macrumors member

It won't become a "standard" for sometime, the cost is still too high. The war needs to end before there is a standard, once a winner is decided then we can talk. The Mac Pro will see Blu-Ray/HD-DVD in the near future, but we are far away from seeing them in the iMac.

4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Until we get dual format burners at an affordable price I wouldn't expect either to become standard in computers. The format war is pretty much over now and neither won. Its going to end up a bit like the DVD-RW and DVD+RW thingy. There are some well priced combo players coming on the market now so dual format burners at an affordable price might be only a year away or so.

5. je1ani macrumors 6502

Superdrive aren't even standard, Apple still has base systems with combos! it's gonna be a LOOONG time before Blu-Ray comes standard.

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

That's just because Apple likes to charge extra for standard equipment. Superdrives have been standard for *years* now on PC laptops. The last three laptops I bought (before my MB) all cost under a grand and came with Superdrives; there's really nothing "super" about them. My MB also has a "Super"drive, but if I hadn't bought a refurbished model, I'd have had to spend $1300 to get a feature commonly available on $600 laptops. The only place in the computer universe where Superdrives aren't standard is on Planet Apple.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless