Any guidance anywhere on cases and wireless charging?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TJ82, Oct 11, 2017.

1. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Trying to find out if cases type affects the speed of wireless charging, or is it as simple as some materials work and some don't.

Apple's leather and silicon cases should be safe bets? I imagine they'd put a warning out if they reduced the performance of the new charging standard.

Also thought a tech site would do a review on this, testing it out. Didn't spot one though.

2. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

Unknown on the iphones but when I had my galaxy S7 edge phone had to be within 3mm of the pad.
    Was not able to use my aluminium armour case, this case also stopped GPS working.

Had thin case was ok and at a push my rubber armour case but was fuss where on pad put phone with this case.

Iphone may have better tolerances I do not know

3. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Other than metal and the otter box heavy thick cases you should be fine.

4. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

Haven’t tried it on the iPhone but even on other phones I have had the otter box defender works with wireless charging. But I haven’t tried it on the iPhone yet.

5. Zune55 macrumors 6502a

Zune55

For wireless charging i am using samsung’s wireless charger 1st gen and i found it to be so efficient. as soon as i put on the charger iphone 8 charges really fast. But that’s without case, i charge s7 edge with case on same charger and it take ages even fast charging is on on s7edge. Samsung wireless charger is working better on iphone than s7 edge imho

6. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

The apple website states their cases work with wireless charging.

7. Zune55 macrumors 6502a

Zune55

i am sure it will work, it will also increase slight charging time. i experienced it with s7, 20minutes approx.