Any Guitar Players out there?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by joshcls, Apr 30, 2015.

1. joshcls macrumors 6502

joshcls

I'm playing out tonight for the first time with my Apple Watch.
    I move around a ton on stage, so I'm wondering if it's gonna light up like crazy...

I don't like playing guitar with anything on my forearms for some reason, it drives me nuts. I even have a hard time playing in long sleeves, and when I got married getting used to playing with my wedding ring on was a huge adaptation.

I also hope the strap stays attached.

Anyone have experience playing guitar with it on?

2. priscilla55 macrumors regular

priscilla55

No guitar playing experience, but if you are worried about it lighting up too much you can turn off "activate on wrist raise" in setting so that it only turns on with a button push.

3. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

I played once with it on, it's light enough to not get in the way. It was daytime so I didn't notice the light-up issue. I will say I am looking forward to playing around with the Line 6 Amplifi app with my amp though :cool:

4. pragmatous macrumors 65816

I don't get mine until June. :(

5. eg0 macrumors regular

I play guitar. I don't think you'll have a problem with it. It only lights up when you actually turn your wrist towards you, not just when you raise it. At least that's how it has been working for me.

6. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

If you are used to wearing watches and playing guitar you won't have a problem comfort wise. I haven't noticed any issues with it lighting up when I play but I suppose it depends on your style.

If you are concerned about accidentally activating the screen you could always temporarily turn off the wrist raise setting or turn it off until you're done. Good luck!

7. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

I can't play with a watch or my ring on. Haven't tried with Apple watch, but other ones always shimmy to my wrist joint as I move, and interfere with my flexibility. I doubt you will need it while performing, so probably best to leave it off.

8. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

I was just playing guitar with it this evening. It didn't light up at all! I wondered the same thing! But I noticed my wrist is usually faced down while playing.

rock on man :cool: :apple:

9. CharlieCat666 macrumors regular

CharlieCat666

I play in a band and I get pretty dancey when we're having a fun practice. I SHOULD be rehearsing tomorrow if things go according to plan, I'll let you know if my watch bugs me. I mean, you could easily turn off the raise to activate function, just for your show; if it really is a problem. The SS is pretty heavy, but the milanese loop keeps it snug enough on my wrist where it doesn't flop around much; don't think it would bother me while playing.

I didn't notice it at all today at work (I'm a guitar instructor).

10. joshcls thread starter macrumors 6502

joshcls

Figure I'd report back after playing over the weekend.
    No issues with it lighting up that I could tell, even with tons of movement.
    My sport strap stayed tight and was very comfortable.

My biggest issue was actually getting notifications while playing.
    It was driving me nuts. I've never noticed my phone going off.

I actually even checked it at one point while I was tuning, which I never would have done in a million years with a phone.

Will have to put it on sleep mode from now on while on stage.

11. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I'm picturing you answering a call mid-song. ;)

12. Xenious macrumors 6502a

"Your cousin, Marvin Berry! You know that new sound you're looking for? Well listen to this!"

13. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Exactly like that.