Any guys regret buying the smaller case?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dmaxdmax, May 27, 2017.

1. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

dmaxdmax

I picked up the smaller case in the store yesterday, without realizing it, and really liked the feel. I have a pretty big Tag Heuer so I'm not adverse to bulky items but the 38mm felt pretty great. Are my stubby man-fingers going to have buyers remorse?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I would go back and get a 42mm.

• Larger screen/fonts/readability
    • Larger touch points
    • Larger battery

3. jonnyb macrumors 65816

I switched from a 42mm to a 38mm and wouldn't go back. The 38mm looks better on my wrist and the 42mm felt like a bit of a slab.

4. dmaxdmax thread starter macrumors 6502

dmaxdmax

Does this translate into longer life? I figure it must take more juice to power the bigger display.

5. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I don't regret buying a smaller case, because I wouldn't :)

6. SDColorado, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017

SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

The 42mm also has a slightly larger battery and actually gets slightly better battery life on average.

I can't find the link with the average difference in battery life, but I had read that is on average about 15% longer with the 42mm.

Here is the difference in battery sizes. The 61mAh difference, more than makes up for the difference in the juice required for powering the 4mm larger display.
    • Apple Watch (original) & Apple Watch Series 1, 38mm: 205 mAh (source)
    • Apple Watch (original) & Apple Watch Series 1, 42mm: 246 mAh (source)
    • Apple Watch Series 2, 38mm: 273 mAh (source)
    • Apple Watch Series 2, 42mm: 334 mAh (source)

7. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Also, The bigger Apple Watch simply has more of those pixels.

• The 38mm Apple Watch has a display size of 340x272 pixels.
    • The 42mm Apple Watch has a display size of 390x312 pixels.
    If you really want more pixels, which translates into bigger text and images, it may be a benefit to you for the 42 MM.

Both Watches are rated at 18 hours of usage,
    But the 42 MM has a larger battery, translating into better battery life.

8. filipe.esposito macrumors member

filipe.esposito

I'm wearing a 38mm Watch for about 3 months and I have nothing to complain about, 42mm doesn't looks nice on my arm. Everything looks fine on 38mm to me.

9. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I bought both a 38mm and a 42mm Apple Watch. I wanted the 38mm for running since it's smaller and lighter. I wanted the 42mm for work.

To make a long story short, I prefer the 38mm watch. And I alternated wearing each Watch all day every other day.

The touch targets on the 42 aren't big enough to make a difference. Also, you don't get any more info on the screen. Everything is just bigger.

On my 170mm wrist the smaller Watch looks better and the bigger Watch looks more geaky.

10. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Even the 42mm still feels somewhat small-ish for me, and I don't even have huge arms. But for some reason the stores in my area only sell variety of bands for the 38mm, as if they think 42mm owners don't want to have colorful bands...

11. CarlJ, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017

CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

I made an appointment to go look at the AW on the very first day, rather than pre-ordering, because I was concerned about sizes - I generally wear smaller/smallish watches (not a fan of the "dinner plate-sized' watch trend, my previous favorite watch is a 36mm Marathon), so I was concerned about the 42mm size, and assumed I'd prefer the 38mm. Tried both, and was surprised that the 42mm didn't feel too big to me. I went with the 42mm, figuring "more pixels and bigger battery can't be a bad thing."

It's really a personal choice - it's not jewelry, but it is an item you're likely to be wearing for most waking hours, and likely having in your field of view a lot of that time. Get the one that pleases you / makes you the most comfortable. Neither is decidedly inferior to the other (Apple wouldn't do that), nor designed specifically for munchkin or giant fingers. Signed, a full-sized adult male who has often worn smaller watches.

(My favorite Marathon watch has some entirely undeserved 1-star reviews on Amazon from men saying, "this watch is too small for a man, it's suitable only for a woman or small boy" - I think such men have taken to wearing enormous watches to compensate for something. Also, if you rate an item that both works great and precisely matches the description as 1-star, because you couldn't be bothered to read said description and glance at a ruler, you're misusing the rating system and should be hit with a stick.)

12. chilman macrumors regular

chilman

AW is now not only a cool gadget but it is now also a fashion thing. I don't hv an AW yet, Im waiting may be just another year when more capabilities and improved. Technology always improves whether it is the design or OS. One of the watch trend and fashion style is larger size, it used to be strictly proportional to your wrist size. Now if you look around petite male or female are into larger size watches. And bcs fashion is part of the size, the 42 mm looks cool on anyone. I know when I'm ready to buy would be the 42mm. I wish i had it now

13. dmaxdmax thread starter macrumors 6502

dmaxdmax

I don't mind the size of the face as much as the thickness. If it were a bit slimmer I'd go for the 42 or even more if they made it.

14. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Got the 38mm, looks better and doesn't 'feel' like having a computer on your wrist. I have a small wrist so it fits better for my use case. Go with your gut feel. Battery life on the other hand gets me through the day with ease.

15. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Technology does improve, as it should when new versions of a product come out. However, it doesn't mean the design will change either. Even if Series 3 does launch this September, it's highly likely it will be the same physical design one more year until we see a completely redesigned Apple Watch, with a few more added enhancements. Expecting anything major on a year to year basis isn't usually the method Apple offers throughout their product line.

I see the Apple Watch for the first three Series as I do the iPhone 6/6S/7. Apple likely will use the same casing for a three-year design, with incremental improvements. Until we see a major revamp somewhere in 2018.

16. dmaxdmax thread starter macrumors 6502

dmaxdmax

I've waited this long so can wait for functionality advances. Christmas may bring me a Watch or a HomePod. More likely the latter if it would work nicely in an oddly shaped kitchen/living room.

17. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I'm 6'2", I bought the 38mm nearly two years ago, and I'll buy 38mm again in the future. I find the 38mm wears similar in size to my Rolex watches, and it doesn't read as much like a big computer screen on the wrist. In terms of usability, I have no issue with the smaller screen.

18. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

I've had my 38mm AWS for almost 2 years and I am still glad I got the 38mm. When I do decide to upgrade to a newer model, I'm quite certain I will stick with the 38mm case.

I'm 5' 9" and 190 pounds with average size wrists and hands. It would have been easy for me to go either way, and when I went to the Apple Store I was fairly certain I would get the 42mm because I assumed bigger would be better where a smartwatch is concerned. I'm in my 40's, so my eyes aren't what they used to be. I now wear progressive trifocals, but two years ago I was wearing an outdated single focus prescription that was too weak, and my close focusing ability was already pretty bad. Nonetheless I had little trouble reading the text on either size Apple Watch. It's definitely easier for me now that I have the progressives, but to me there was no difference in readability between the two cases. You can alter the font size, but I actually find the default (or one notch larger) suits me well.

The 42mm case can display a bit more information... like another line of multi-line text, or more area of a map for a given zoom range. Watch apps scale slightly larger on the 42, so if you have large fingertips it might help you hit the virtual buttons more accurately. If you have average or smaller fingertips it probably won't matter.

What struck me most about the 38mm vs the 42mm was how subtle the size difference was. The 42mm was not as large as I pictured, and the 38mm was not as small as I pictured. In the end it came down to how it felt and looked on my wrist. The 42mm looked a tad oversized on me, and I kept fiddling with it because it didn't quite feel right. I even tried different band styles. When I put on the 38mm it just felt right and looked right for me. I probably would have gotten used to the 42mm, but then again maybe not. Fit and look are very personal, which is why it's so helpful to try them on for yourself before you buy. Before I buy a newer model I will try the 42mm size again. Maybe it will feel better now that I'm used to wearing a watch, but looking at my AWS as I type this I'm pretty sure I will stick to the 38mm size.

Sean

19. chilman macrumors regular

chilman

Very nice summary Sean. Me too Im not sure as what would be the better size. Larger is better for my vision, the smaller may fit a little more perfect. Aside from AW, I see people all around wearing larger or over size watches. Maybe it is more trendy now. AW is also a fitness fashion item. I will wait for sept as it is only 3 months ahead. Which finish do u hv. I'm on a budget so I'm going with the aluminum. Enjoy your aw.

20. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I have been tempted to purchase the 38 mm multiple times (I own the 42 MM) The display size isn't that much of a factor to me. Mainly because, I see so many sale prices over the 42 MM. If one searches, you can find steep discounts on the 38 MM casing.

21. chilman macrumors regular

chilman

Would you buy the 38 on your future AW or would you go for the 42 again? I'm still baffling over these 2 cases.

22. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

For the sake of having a larger display and stronger battery life, I would probably choose the 42 mm again. But the 38 mm has its purposes which can look more suitable on a smaller wrist, depending on what size wrist you have.

23. chilman macrumors regular

chilman

My wirst is average, not wide nor narrow? but Lately I hv been intrigued with larger watches (not aw), so i bought a couple larger watches to go with the fashion trend and for fun. Those watches don't cost more than $120, so if I get bored I can give it to someone. The aw cost a whole lot more, therefore I mist pick the right size. There are times I can make up my mind. I tried both cases at Apple Store to see how they look, they look both ok. But as you said, the 42 may hv a better functionality bcs of its larger screen. Thanks for your advice. I will make my final decision when I pay for the aw

24. Cogsworth macrumors 6502

Cogsworth

Really the 42 mm is not a large watch. The measurement is diagonally, so you can't even compare it to a 42 mm round men's watch which is measured across the crown. I have a slightly smallish wrist and bought the 42 which looks, fits and feels great. I couldn't imagine getting anything smaller.

25. Relentless Power, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I don't think the 42 mm watch is to large per se. But ultimately, I think it's dependent on the size of the wrist that makes it comfortable and overall it's appearance for someone.