Any happy Dell U2713H users?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by steviemacdaddy, Jun 4, 2014.

1. steviemacdaddy macrumors newbie

Hi - I am looking for a new 27" monitor. Currently using an old 23" Cinema display which is now a little small for my needs and starting to show it's age.

I am torn between the Thunderbolt display and the DELL U2713H.

The only thing that is putting me off the DELL is that every other review on MacRumors mentions problems with ghosting, or something called overdrive. This only seems to be happening to OSX users.

I'd get the thunderbolt but the glossy display could be a hindrance for me; and it's rumored to be replaced soon, though from past experience waiting for Apple to update something that is well passed an update is quite a frustrating experience, so I don't see that as a valid option.

I am professional graphic designer & stock photographer so would like something fairly accurate in terms of color, though I'm not super anal about it.

Thanks!

2. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

For reference, I snagged a 27" 2011 iMac off the refurb store for $1100 - less than you'd pay for a TBD with tax.

With this, I get four benefits;

One, I have a very capable iMac that's ready for anything I can throw at it.

Two, I can use it as an external display for my rMBP with a thunderbolt cable.

Three, it's the same panel that's in the TBD, so it's just as nice, quality-wise

Four, the iMac actually uses less power than the TBD according to my findings. I live off-grid, so this is a bigger deal to me than it might be to someone else, but still - even a little bit off a power bill is money saved.

I have a cheap USB mouse around that I can connect to the iMac to disable Bluetooth, then simply pair the wireless mouse and keyboard to the rMBP. It works great, and makes for a setup that has the best of all worlds - portable, power, and versatility.

3. steviemacdaddy thread starter macrumors newbie

You've also got a very glossy screen that's no good for professional designers though.

4. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

It's not worse than sparkle effect of matte screens.

5. steviemacdaddy thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't see any sparkle on the monitors I've looked at. In 1989, sure.

6. pruppert macrumors 6502

pruppert

7. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

U2713H user here: I was never able to fix the ghosting thing. It's especially glaring if you use a pointing device with inertial scrolling (e.g. magic trackpad). I use a logitech mouse at work w/ fixed scrolling so it's not that noticeable.

Personally, I'd not recommend it to you.

8. IlikeMacsSoMuch, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014

IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

First, I'm not a graphicsl designer so I can't tell you if it's any better then a TB display. but I personaly don't like glossy screens and the multiple inputs are a huge plus for me. The only thing missing is integrated speakers but Dell sells a soundbar that IMO sounds at least as good as my late 2009 iMac sounded.

And I'v never experienced any ghosting.

So, happy camper here

9. lotzosushi macrumors 6502

lotzosushi

I actually have a triple monitor display of the Ultrasharp U2713HM 2560x1440 and they are amazing!! I love the beautiful matte display for both working, gaming and editing.

I hook them up to my MBPr via thunderbolt-displayport/thunderbolt-displayport/hdmi. I'm still shocked it can handle this many displays at such a resolution without exploding! :eek: Photoshop, Aperture, and Final Cut Pro X work beautifully on these.

I also have them hooked up to my gaming rig via DVI/DVI/Displayport for max resolution on each screen. Here's a pic of Bioshock Infinite running on ultra/maximum settings with full resolution. No lag/framerate issues! :)

They're definitely worth it if you're in design. Unless you're looking to get 4K? Those prices are pretty cheap now I believe Dell/Samsung/Seiki and a few other brands already have 4K monitors around the same price as this monitor but I can't vouch for how accurate the colors are and performance is.

[​IMG]