any hard drive deals ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jetjaguar, Sep 19, 2013.

1. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

I am looking for 3-4 tb internal hard drives. Just wondering if there are any deals I am missing.

2. Giuly, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

A 4TB Seagate Backup Plus has a Seagate 7200RPM drive in it and costs $10 less than the bare drive (and $100 less than a 4TB WD Black). If you take it out, you even get a 3.5" external hard drive dock and enclosure along with it.

Is that deal enough?

3. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

hmm tempting .. not really a fan of seagate drives though

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

You realize there are only two companies left that make hard drives right? Seagate and WD.... I've had 6 3TB Seagate drives (that I pulled from external enclosures) running 24x7 since November. Best part about Seagate is that they only make one hard drive anymore and none of this "buy this one for this use and this one for this use".....

http://www.tomshardware.com/us/sponsored/Seagate-Barracuda-Desktop-HDD-194

To each his own. Either way, look at external drives for the best bang for your buck, because you can generally get them cheaper than a straight internal. I bought all of my 3TB externals 8+ months ago for $99 when internals were going for $130+!

Downside: Have to tear apart the enclosure (youtube is your friend) AND you basically void your warranty (as if those are worth anything anymore). For the savings though, ($30x6=$180) I figured I could replace two of them and still be even money.

5. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

True. I have removed drives from enclosures before. I used to use seagate a lot and then moved over tp caviar blacks .. never tried the reds though. Maybe Ill give these a shot. The no warranty kind of sucks though :eek:

6. thedeske macrumors 6502a

HGST 4TB looks like a good deal to me, but it's not the cheapest you can get. All are down from a few months ago by about 30-50 depending on when and where.

7. RustyDamis macrumors newbie

Best part about Seagate is that they only make one hard drive anymore.