Any Hard Drives for this use?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thegrapeguy, Mar 29, 2012.

1. thegrapeguy macrumors newbie

I'm a musician working in Logic Pro on my Laptop. I want to be able to store Logic files, and other samples on an external Drive and then take the Drive to my office where I have my IMAC (my main recording computer). Open ports on my IMAC include USB and Thunderbolt. Open ports on my MacBook Pro include Firewire 800 and Thunderbolt.

Is there a small, easily portable, rock solid, high quality Hard Drive that can hold as little as 500GB up to 2TB and function as both a USB and Firewire connectable unit? Or Thunderbolt? Thanks...

2. lamboman macrumors 6502

There is the LaCie Little Big Disk, or the Seagate GoFlex adaptors, but aside from this, it doesn't seem that there are any with both.

Would two adaptors (one for USB and one for Thunderbolt) work?

Any of these routes will be expensive, it's best to choose either or (though of course this may not be an option).

3. simsaladimbamba

Since your iMac also has Firewire 800, why not get a FW800 enclosure and any HDD you like, be it mobile or not?

[​IMG]

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

5. lamboman macrumors 6502

Ooops, just realised that I read the OP wrongly. I thought you wanted a Thunderbolt and USB enclosure in one :confused:

Just go for any FireWire 800 enclosure. Definitely better than USB 2.0, and a heck of a lot cheaper than Thunderbolt.

6. thegrapeguy thread starter macrumors newbie

The reason I would like a Hard Drive that has the ability to do USB and FireWire 800 is because the Firewire port on my IMAC is being used with a converter. It's a pain to always disconnect the converter since the iMac is at the back of my desk and the ports are not easy to get at. I figured when I need to hook a Drive to my IMAC that USB would be better since I have a couple open. As well I have a 2nd Apple Cinema Display connected to the iMac and it has an easily reachable free USB port.

Now on my MacBook at home my Firewire port is open but my USB ports are filled up. My Thunderbolt ports are open on both MacBook at home and IMAC at studio... So are you telling me that Thunderbolt is an option but it will be expensive? Are you telling me that noone makes a combination USB/Firewire 800 Drive? Are you saying that I should definitely get a Firewire 800 Drive because of the superiority of the transfer of data, cost effectiveness, yet deal with always unplugging the converter from my IMAC? Thanks...

7. ET3SW macrumors member

You could just get a FW hub and plug that into your iMac. Then you would not have to unplug anything

8. jcrandall23 macrumors newbie

I have a Lacie Rugged All-Terrain 500 GB with FW 400 / FW 800 / USB 2.0. On Amazon here for less than $120.