Any heat problems with the 2013 Mac Mini I7 2,3 GHz?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Hede, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Hede macrumors member

Any heat problems with the 2013 / 2014 Mac Mini I7 2,3 GHz ?

2. iceperson macrumors 6502

Mine's running at 47C at room temp of 23.3C as I type. At full load it sits just under 90C. Never had any problems with overheating.

2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB fusion drive

3. ryguy92000 macrumors regular

ryguy92000

High Heat, low stress!

Mac Minis are really power houses for their size and generate an equally high amount of heat. The aluminum enclosure actually acts as a rather effective heat sync (also why iPhones are made from aluminum and get pretty hot). The Mini has been tested to with stand up to temperatures of 200 Deg F! And at that temp the mini would reduce its own power to the cpu to help with heat dissipation. A few tips:

1) don't cover it with things like books, external drives etc as this can generate its own heat and will resist letting the mac mini vent.

2) don't surround it with the same as #1. The mini actually has vents at its foot and rear to allow for air flow. Keeping these open will keep your mac humming nicely!

Good Luck! :D

4. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

I use fan control software. I like to take charge of my computers temperature. The one thing that can have the biggest effect on reliability and long life.

5. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Dunno what you mean by heat problem. If your using all the cores for video transcoding the mini can get quite warm to the touch, but thats not a problem.

6. KingKen1986 macrumors regular

KingKen1986

My 2.3GHz i7 Mac mini gets warm only if your doing processor intensive tasks. But the cooling system can handle it and it never gets ridiculous to the point that it overheats or anything. Under normal usage it doesn't even get warm.

7. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

If there were heat issues with these, we'd have known about it long ago. This model has been around for nearly 2 years now ;)