Any helop would be appreciated : Mac Mini won't boot up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by WizardHunt, Jul 24, 2008.

1. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Hi,
    I have a stacker drive hooked up to my mac mini and I use that drive as my boot drive. This morning the light on the front of the stacker drive is flashing very fast and the system is not booting up. I tried to use safe mode, and it will not go into safe mode. I put in my leopard disk and used pressed "C" to boot from disk and then used Utility from the menu bar but the stacker drive does not show up. Does that mean it is toast? I can use repair options as it does not find it at all. Any ideas on what to do? I can't even restore from my time machine as it does not find the drive for the stacker drive much less the time machine drive. So now what?

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Check the connections (unplug and plug it back in, basically).

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Yes check your connection to the mini first.

The rapidly flashing led on the stacker indicates a problem. It could be that the drives are not spinning up to become "ready". I don't know how many drives are contained in the unit, but if there is more than one, they must be striped (RAID 0) and the unit won't become ready until all the drives have spun up within it.

I would also disconnect the unit from the mini and power cycle it. Don't connect it to the mini at this time. If you still see the endless rapid flashing led on it, either the controller board went bad or one of the disks is giving the problem.

4. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

I checked my connections, removed all of them to reset everything, and still flashing. At first I got a folder with a "?" on it so I inserted my leopard disk to repair the disk using the utility disk option but it does not see it. I even unplugged the firewire cord and turned on the power and then hooked it up hot, still no reaction, other than a fast steady flash. I called OWC and they gave me a RMA, but I just wished that it could have been fixed on my end as I have data on there that I wish to keep.
    Bummer.!! :(