Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmarkmitch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2013
I know iphones are craptastic for this feature unless you jailbreak with blacklist or pay a fee with your carrier (mines att) to block particular numbers.. however is it possible with any non jailbroke app? I'd like to bock 2 particular numbers and ideally ones that aren't on my contact list?

Ideas..?

Thanks

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
It depends on what it is you're trying to block. Is it a true SMS message? If so there's not much you can do. If they are being sent via e-mail or some automated method AT&T has free message controls.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Google Voice.

Unfortunately, It won't help you now.

Outside of immediate family and ultra-close friends, I don't give out my number. Instead, I have a Google Voice number I use for everything and have full control of... I can block calls, sms, set up do-not-bother me times, and so on.

Again, it won't help you much now, but it might be something to look at for the future.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
A lot of carriers offer at least some level of simple/limited blocking for free these days (often in addition to some more robust paid product), so it might be worth checking for something like that.

Aside from that, if the phone numbers are known and are usually the same, you can create a contact and add them to it and set that contact to have its own silent ringtone and no vibration. It doesn't really stop the messages from coming through, but at least it goes some way towards making the messages not really bother you. There's also Do Not Disturb mode that can help in some ways with that too (at least during night hours, for example), as far as limiting the bother.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I know iphones are craptastic for this feature unless you jailbreak with blacklist or pay a fee with your carrier (mines att) to block particular numbers.. however is it possible with any non jailbroke app? I'd like to bock 2 particular numbers and ideally ones that aren't on my contact list?

Ideas..?

Thanks

ATT allows you to forward the text to ATT as SPAM and then they will block the number. I've used the feature a half dozen or so times. They add the phone # to a blocked database across the board. View the message header, tap on Forward, type SPAM as the recipient of the forwarded message. In a moment you'll get a text from ATT with more instructions.

If, OTOH, the texts are from individuals that you just don't want to hear from, then there may be a different solution needed.

Last edited:

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
ATT allows you to forward the text to ATT as SPAM and then they will block the number. I've used the feature a half dozen or so times. They add the phone # to a blocked database across the board. View the message header, tap on Forward, type SPAM as the recipient of the forwarded message. In a moment you'll get a text from ATT with more instructions.

If, OTOH, the texts are from individuals that you just don't want to hear from, then there may be a different solution needed.

Correct,
Here is the info - http://www.wireless.att.com/support...20912515172.Anti-spam FAQ 080707 Consumer.pdf

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.