Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordtrick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
Hi...

where the heck am i going wrong....its me or it today, one of us is going out the window...

the only good thing the little fecker has done is let me stumble across this website..:)

anyway, The problem..

I bought it from Apple in the usa with 1.1.2 out of the box and brought it back to the UK where i live to use on my current o2 contract sim...

Im so much of a noob that i paid for the unlocking information...

the problem is , i get to the end and it still says sim invalid...

here is what im doing...i download 1.1.1 and put that on the phone...i use ibrikr to fix the phone, the screen stays red..i do all the calling bit *#307# stuff ( only bit is that in my instructions it says the phone will crash then call me back..the phone crashes but does it feck call me back...) i get the spring
board...i do all the prefs and jailbreak me oktoprep...

still the little barstool wont accept my pin...

here is the full instruction i got that i follow..can anyone see a problem in the procedure

Unlock iPhone Running Firmware 1.1.2 For Use With O2 Sim Card

IMPORTANT

These instructions will only work on iphones which came with v1.1.2 installed.

They will allow you to unlock your iphone for use with an o2 PAYG sim or your existing o2 contract sim, instead of having to take out a new £35 18 month contract with o2.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are on Windows, Download iBrickr which is used to take the phone out of restore mode.

If you are on a Mac, Download Independence which is also used to take the phone out of restore mode. Before you can run iNdependence for the first time, you must do the following:

Run the "iNdependence MobDev Tool" application. If it reports that you have the correct version of iTunes installed, then you simply need to choose the location where you installed iNdependence on your computer.

If it reports that you do not have the correct version of iTunes installed, then you'll need to download the following file: MobileDevice_7_4_2.framework

• If you are on a Mac, please ensure that 'Open Safe Files After Downloading' in Safari Preferences is turned off.

• Firstly, Download 1.1.1 firmware file - you may need to rename this file to .ipsw once it has downloaded, as it may be a zip file. Once you have renamed it, it will then appear as a kind of Lego Brick.

• Now, turn the iPhone off and make sure it is disconnected from iTunes and that iTunes is Quit. Now hold down the home button and then connect the phone to the computer whilst holding down the home button and continue holding the home button. Now iTunes should start automatically and say that it has detected an iPhone in Restore Mode. In iTunes, hold the shift key(windows) or the key(mac) and press the "Restore" button, browse to the iPhone 1.1.1 Firmware file (.ipsw) you downloaded earlier and press ok

• Near the end iTunes will gove you a "1015" error - This is to be expected.

• The iPhone will restart to the 1.1.1 restore screen with the iTunes logo on it. Now quit iTunes.

• If on Windows, Run iBrickr and choose boot your phone. Your phone will then start up, you may then quit iBrickr.

If on a Mac, load independence and just wait for it to automatically take the iPhone out of restore mode and return it back to the activation screen - this should take around 30 seconds. Now quit Independence .

Activate and JailBreak Your 1.1.1 iPhone

• Make sure you put in your ORIGINAL sim (i.e. O2 or AT&T)

• Now press the Home button and you will be at the activate iPhone screen. Slide the emergency slider again. Enter the following *#307# then press Call. The iPhone will ring, press the X button at the top to delete all the characters you just entered. Now enter: 0 then press Call again while it is still ringing. Now press Answer, then press hold, then press Decline.

• You will now be at the iPhone's dialing keypad. Press the Contacts button below. You are now at the contacts screen. Press the + in the upper right corner to make a new contact.

• Press the First, Last button. Enter A for the first name then press Save in the upper right corner. Now press the Add new URL button. Enter: prefs://1F then press Save in the upper right corner, it will take you back a screen, now add another URL called http://jailbreakme.com

• press Save again and it will take you to the contact's page, now press Save And click on the prefs://1F url

• You will now be in the Settings screen. Press General then Auto-Lock, then Never. Then back to the Settings screen. Press Wi-Fi, then select your network. Enter your password and press Join. You should now be connected to your Wi-Fi network.

• Press the Home button and you will be taken back to the activate iPhone screen. Slide the emergency slider again. Enter: 0 then press Call. Press Answer, then hold then Decline.

• Now click on the 'A' contact and head to the jailbreakme.com url. Scroll to the bottom of the page and press the Install AppSnapp button. Safari should crash after a few seconds.

****If it doesn't crash after 1 minute, then press the Home button. Wait until the iPhone becomes responsvie, then go into the keypad again and enter a 0 and Call it, then go back to the contact screen and press Z and press the URL button again. If Safari still locks up, hold the home button down for 4 to 8 seconds as this will restart the browser, then visit the jailbreakme link again using the keypad > 0 > call functionality. You may need to repeat this process several times for Safari to crash. ****

• Once Safari crashes it will send you back to the activate iPhone screen. Wait about 30 seconds and the iPhone should chirp and the animation over the slider will freeze and start again.

• The iPhone will then ring, so slide the slider to answer. The iPhone will then freeze. Turn the iPhone off and then back on. You will now have access to the SpringBoard.

Update your iPhone to 1.1.2

• Go to Installer on your iPhone home screen, then click Install, scroll down to Tweaks (1.1.1) and select OkToPrep, then click install

• Connect iPhone to computer

• Launch iTunes

• Click Update on the iTunes screen

• Wait forever for the iPhone to update :)

Jailbreak your 1.1.2 iPhone

• Download the 1.1.2 Jailbreak File

• Close iTunes

• Connect your device to your computer

• If you are on Windows - you will need to have Java installed.

• On Windows, once you have installed Java, double click on windows.bat, on Mac, double click on jailbreak.jar

• Follow the on screen instructions, make sure 'enable ssh' is TICKED

• Now your iPhone should be jailbroken! Now put in your O2 SIM and you should have signal! If not you will need to patch the lockdown file:

Patch the lockdownd file

ONLY DO THIS IF YOU HAVE NO SIGNAL

If you are on a mac, Download Fugu

If you are on Windows, Download WinSCP

Download the 1.1.2 lockdown file and make sure its unzipped.

• Open winSCP (or Fugu) and enter the IP address of your iPhone as your hostname(which you can obtain by going to Settings >> General >> Wifi and clicking on the little blue arrow next to your network name. The username is "root" and the password is "alpine"

• In WinSCP or Fugu, keep hitting the top folder in the directories listing until it brings you to the directory with the "usr" folder in it.

• Open the "usr" folder and then open the libexec "folder"

• There will be a folder called "lockdownd" in there, rename it to "backuplockdownd112"

• Now, get the new lockdownd you downloaded earlier and upload it into this folder

• Right click on the new lockdownd file and click "Properties"

• In the bottom half, make sure that all the R's and all the X's are ticked and NONE of the W's are ticked, it should say "555" underneath

Set your iPhone to the UK

In the iPhone, click on Settings >> General >> International, and choose United Kingdom from the list of countries.

lordtrick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
i have tried everything chaps...please help...still getting inactive sim thing

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I thought it was impossible to unlock a 1.1.2 retail boxed iPhone...

You can jailbreak it to use as you would a touch, but not SIM unlock.

lordtrick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
I thought it was impossible to unlock a 1.1.2 retail boxed iPhone...

You can jailbreak it to use as you would a touch, but not SIM unlock.

well it would still seem that way to me...although the instructions say

"IMPORTANT

These instructions will only work on iphones which came with v1.1.2 installed."

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
well it would still seem that way to me...although the instructions say

"IMPORTANT

These instructions will only work on iphones which came with v1.1.2 installed."
You said you paid for these instructions too right? I think it's bull, no one charges for iPhone unlocking instructions other than scammers. I think you we had.

lordtrick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
everywhere i went a certain site got mentioned as being good...

http://www.free-your-iphone.co.uk

i knew people generally hate being asked "where am i going wrong" so i thought i would pay for the assistance rather that the tutorial as im generally useless:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.