Any help with my dying macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ClemBurmingham, Nov 3, 2011.

1. ClemBurmingham macrumors newbie

Almost 2 years ago my macbook died. I took it apart, wasn't quite prepared to do so, and have lost parts here and there. It was an important part of my life, but as I was not doing anything more than basic stuff, my iMac served more than I needed. I like to tinker so I've kept what I could around. I've lost a lot of screws, bits and pieces here and there (like the right clutch cover), and over all would need to buy a few pieces.

Well two weeks ago I figured I would pull it out and see if I couldn't find what was wrong. That's when I saw it. A very small crack around the top edge of the pin set of the magsafe. So I bent it back, pulled the hard drive out of the external case I had it in, hooked everything up and then magsafe adapter to pin set. Crossed fingers. Green light. Press power button. Sleep light flashes three times, chime, screen comes on, loads to main password screen. Success! Can I accept? Of course not.

Incidentally my constant moving of the top case on, off, on, off, I damaged the track pad cable. I need a new one. Need some new case pieces, a new screw set, and might need a new superdrive cable (I might know where it went hiding). Main problem I face is the battery. Before I completely lost the keyboard/track pad I got for just a flicker of a second an orange light. So if I bridge the pins for the trackpad cable I can get it booted and can use a usb keyboard and mouse. Hooked up everything across the ports and they all work. Hard drive spins up, computer shows both sticks of ram, and everything looks good to the best of my knowledge.

Everywhere I look, people have battery problems and others say it's the logic board. I'd like to believe that, but I just don't. If I put the battery in, the computer recognizes the battery. I can look at the health. It tells me there are no amps in the battery, that it has had 237 cycles, and that I need to check battery as far as the health. No lights on the outside bar on the battery.

So before I go spend a few hundred dollars needlessly on parts, is there anything I can try to check the magsafe connector inside the mac, the battery connector, the battery, or the logic board to see if there is a problem anywhere? Are there any files or areas I can look at in the OS? Or am I stuck just diving head first in whatever I think is the most logical area?

I appreciate anyone's time and help in this matter.

2. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

sounds like you have a great reason to upgrade to the new MBP!!

3. ClemBurmingham thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd love too, but so much money. Guess I may just have to bite the bullet. Thanks for the reply.

4. Mutinygraphiks macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

I would suggest buying a new one like above posted, and selling the damaged one for parts someone could use it.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Or save a few bucks and buy a refurbished MacBook.