Any help?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michaelpri, Nov 29, 2013.

1. michaelpri macrumors member

This is my first smart phone and I am looking for some honest assistance. I am trying to decide between an apple 5s or a galaxy s4. The Apple is 127.00 at Sams Club and the galaxy s4 is free at Best Buy. Aside from the obvious price difference- I am guessing that the 5C is probably less-, is one phone really so much better, easier or more capable than the other?
    I really like the larger screen on the galaxy but I like the design of the 5S / 5C better.
    Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Battery, camera, sound, etc?

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Now u know u came to an Apple forum, ppl here tend to be biased for Apple.

Your question is too generic, we are really here to answer specific questions.

Now both phones are not new brands, there are literally tons of reviews on the web u can browse from and that is where I would start.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd go with the 5s. Not because I'm biased towards Apple, but because I absolutely hate Samsungs TouchWiz skin.

If you were asking about any other Android phone such as the HTC One, Moto X or Nexus5, I'd say go for it.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. michaelpri thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses. I was hoping to get some real life experience and advice from those that may have or had both. Being a first smartphone- I am not really sure what I am looking at or for.

6. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

I'd say to anyone asking about a new phone...go to a store, have a play and see what you like.

However seeing as it's your first ever smart phone, I'd go with Apple, only because they're easier and more intuitive to use.

People will no doubt argue but my logic comes from the fact that as a developer and someone who has been proficient with smart phones and the like for many years, even now I find Android to be a bit of a headache sometimes. It is a good OS but I wouldn't consider it to be a beginner OS, many people I know who have android phones, barely use them to their potential because it doesn't take long before the additional settings and occasional complexity become overwhelming.

Also it doesn't help that the Google Play Store is a clusterf*ck of shoddy software masking the good stuff. Sure the AppStore has it's lemons but the quality and reliability across the board is at a pretty good standard.

Lastly if you're close to an Apple store, you can attend sessions to learn how to use your phone and software for free, plus the tech support is second to none, and if you get really stuck, you can always come here and ask without getting bombarded with the overly complex android stuff involving custom roms, launchers and APKs.