Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hmorneau

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2016
Does anyone know if they exist? Before you point me to a seller on Amazon who sells what you find on Aliexpress for half the price, I don't want those silicone bands. Like "Urvoy" and other "brands", they collect lint, they are thin and overall I don't like them. I have a few I ordered from different sellers and it's all the same, all bad.

The reason I'm asking is that the color choice at Apple this year is not my cup of tea.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Apple uses flouroelastomer for its sport bands (basically synthetic rubber) which is much more expensive than silicone, which is probably why most/all third-party manufacturers don't use it. To answer your question, I've been searching for third-party flouroelastomer bands for six and a half years now, and I've only found one or two companies selling them, at price points very similar to Apple's. So I've never bothered getting one, because the price difference is negligible and for the same price I'd rather have an Apple band.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Totally agree with the post above. I just bought a knock-off solo loop from Amazon, and it feels a lot more flimsy than Apple's. It's actually easier to pull on and off than Apple's, because it's so stretchy, lol. But I don't expect it to last as long as Apple's. For me, this works, because even Apple's solo loop didn't last me a year, and with the cheaper bands, I won't mind going through several a year. But if you are looking for the same build and quality as Apple's, it's going to cost you the same.

darita

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2018
I recently bought a couple of solo loop bands from amazon and found they were basically textured rubber bands. Are the Sport Bands the same or are non-OEM bands of better quality?

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Also, don't believe third party vendors that say "flouroelastomer" in their product description. In my experience, at least so far, they are lying.
Good luck trying to prove they are lying; hence they get away with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaladinGuy

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I just found this site - they say their bands are 100% flouroelastomer, and they cost less than half as much as Apple's. ?

Edit: leaving the link up, but these bands are NOT fluoroelastomer. They're silicone. I bought three, and they're as flimsy and stretchy as every other silicone band I've bought (and thrown/given away) in the past. Pure garbage.

Last edited:

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Thanks all, so I will stick with Apple band.

Thats what I would recommend.

But if you do decide to get an aftermarket silicone band, try to stick with the lighter colors. That way the lint is less noticeable. I’ve found most aftermarket bands will attract a lot of lint.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
I've got two Epova Silicone ones i picked up for not a lot on Amazon nearly a year ago, both are in really good condition still despite both being used a lot including swimming with them on the watch. I quite like the thinner software feel of them compared to the thicker band i got with my Nike AW6 originally.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I pulled the trigger on three of those Band-Band bands (lol) I linked to, above. Their website says that the bands are fluoroelastomer, but they're absolutely NOT. They're cheap silicone, like all the others. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.