Any High School Journalism Studnets/Teachers Moving into New Media?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by iPenguin, Apr 29, 2009.

1. iPenguin macrumors newbie

We are working on getting our site up and going and I was looking for suggestions. Does anyone have any advice for www.fhhstoday.com?

2. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

The first thing I would do is drastically reduce the file size of your images. Your front page weighs in at over 4.3MB, mainly due to the images which are over 4MB themselves. For instance, the worst offender is dsc_0234.jpg which is almost 3MB by itself.

Compare this with, say, the front page of the BBC News website, which is another "busy" looking page with a similar amount of images, but which currently weighs in at just over 500KB.

I would fix this first, because people from the forum will then be able to browse around your site much more quickly in order to give advice about the rest of it.

3. iPenguin thread starter macrumors newbie

I know that's an issue. I am looking more at design right now. I know they need to be resized to 500 pixels at the largest dimension. What does the design need? We have been looking at community interaction, but we don't want to go towards comments because of the editorial issue and that it's not necessarily a commonly used feature.