Any hints of when Yosemite beta releases?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by Tom2893, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Tom2893, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014

Tom2893 macrumors 6502

Tom2893

*Public beta to the first 1 million people that signed up*
    It's July 8th now just wondering

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

My mostly-useless response. :p
    The answer would be "not yet"
    The Developer Preview (DP3) isn't the beta.
    I expect that Apple will (likely) call it a beta (what a surprise :D ), once they move out of the Developer Preview period, and release the actual beta.

And - any hints are just guesses at this point.

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I'm not sure why people keep saying this. For both ML and Mavericks, it was referred to as Developer Preview all the way through until the release of the GM. iOS betas are referred to as "betas," but Mac OS X betas are referred to as "Developer Previews."

4. Dj64Mk7 macrumors 6502a

I believe that Apple will release only one build (like they do with regular DPs), but split it into two channels. They would release the DP onto the Dev Center like usual, and then proceed to send emails out to those registered for the Public Beta (it's here that they would refer to it as "Beta Seed 1" or something similar.)

5. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Why so many threads about this stuff? Does nobody know how to use google? Just be patient, and nobody outside of apple knows when anything will come out.

6. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Sometime this summer.

Summer has only been in effect for only about 20 days, and doesn't end until around September 21.

8. Tom2893 thread starter macrumors 6502

Tom2893

9. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

Yosemite is different - for ML and Mavericks, Apple didn't have a public beta program prior to the GM. OS X Yosemite will indeed have a public beta, as shown on https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/ (in addition to continuing to have Developer Previews).

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think anyone knows, perhaps it will be DP4 or later when its a bit more stable and/or feature complete.

11. JarScott macrumors 601

JarScott

I just hope that Apple don't keep those of us registered for the public beta in the dark for much longer. They DID promise we'd have access to a beta "throughout summer" and we've been in summer for like a month now.

On the other hand, I'd rather they did wait until a version of Yosemite which has very few bugs as I know not all of those 1m people registered will be quite so knowledgeable about betas as the vast majority of MacRumors readers are.

12. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

They DID NOT.

Said it will become available this summer. Which means as long as they release it by September 20, they met that commitment.

And if they miss even that, *shrug* they owe us nothing on this front.

13. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

I would think we are still at least 2 developer preview away. There are still significant low level issues such as wifi and bluetooth in DP3. Apple will need to solve these before they release a public beta.

14. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

The beta page now says: "Sign up today, and the beta software will be available for you to install soon."

As another poster said, Apple didn't say the beta would be available "throughout" summer; they said it would be available sometime in summer. Now that it's summer, Apple at least is on top of updating the beta page, which I'm pretty sure has different wording than in early June (soon vs. in summer). Hopefully DP4?

Random thought: will Apple flatten the spinning beachball for Yosemite?

15. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Hint: Nobody knows...