Any HomePlugs experts?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Soundburst, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

I understand that Homeplugs are better are carrying wireless signal as they use your homes electronic circuit.

I'm thinking of buying some homeplugs and was wondering does anyone know how they work?

For example do you plug your router DIRECTLY into the homeplug? . . .or does my Airport Express plug into it.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

2. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

Cat 5 (from your router/airport express) goes to the homeplug. From your other homeplug your cat 5 comes out and plugs into whatever device you like.

I'm in the UK and have my main wireless router in the hall plugged into a homeplug. I have another homeplug in the lounge which then plugs into a 4 port switch which has a DVR and XBox 360 plugged in. Its basically a way to extend cat 5 over your home mains circuit. They work in pairs and you need a cat 5 cable for each pair, and something to plug into the end of each cat 5. Hope that clears it up for you.

3. mpshay macrumors 6502

I've used them in the past and they work pretty well. I got the faster version (200 mb/sec I think). Never got that speed but it seemed comparable to standard ether net. I basically stopped using them when I ran Cat 6 throughout the house.

As far as setup goes, just need one directly connected to the router and then plug in additional ones whereever you wanted a wired ethernet port.