Any Hope For a 12" Professional Laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by evengrift, Jan 23, 2008.

1. evengrift macrumors newbie

My original Core 1 Duo, 2.16Ghz MBP is getting awfully long in the tooth now. And I am going to have to do something soon. I can likely wait for penryn, montevina at the outside (would be a record for me to wait so long).

The biggest issue however is the form factor. I am now more mobile, and would like something smaller, that is still a full computer. I need an expresscard slot for my WWAN card (no, hanging a usb dongle off the side isn't going to cut it). I admit I don't need an optical. What I do need is 4GBs of Ram (ALWAYS running parallels), and some more processing power 2Ghz+ Core 2, the more the better.

Back in the day we had the much loved 12" Powerbook, and while some would argue that it was more an iBook then a Powerbook, I would take it. I'll take a 2.6Ghz penryn instead of a 2.8 (even a 2.4 or 2.2 if I have too). It's the memory, and the full compliment of ports that I need.

Anyone else with me? Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

I'm likely to just bite the bullet and do another 15" but it is going to be an agonizing debate between that and paying less for a M1330, fully spec'd, and slapping ubuntu on it. I know that I would miss the Mac OS and many of the iApps, I also know that I could probably get comfortable with other options.

I'm desperate enough that I've considered getting a MacPro, and an EEE (or M1330) something and just VNC'ng in. Tho' I'm not sure I could get used to working over VNC all the time either...

If it matters, most of my work is SQL/Email/Chat. I need to keep a Virtual Machine going for VPN and some specific Wintel tools.

2. TatsuTerror macrumors regular

After looking at and holding the Macbook Pro's, they are portable enough for most and should be portable enough for you. I, for one, though the same thing as you not too long ago, but again, they really are portable. They don't weigh much, and they're really thin anyways. I don't expect to see the power of a present day MBP with a 13 inch monitor, especially because Apple has two 13" models available right now.

3. CP1091 macrumors regular

CP1091

The smaller size will come in time, but don't expect it anytime real soon.