Any hope for HTC Incredible Tether?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by nStyle, Apr 29, 2010.

1. nStyle macrumors 65816

Anyone know if the new Incredible from VZW will be able to Tether to the iPad? I know the Nexus One can... and that's about all I know. I would just get the Palm Pre Plus but I really want droid.

2. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

Probably not until it's rooted, which could be a while. Wifi tethering is not something most android phones can do out of the box.

3. nStyle thread starter macrumors 65816

Damn! Do I get a droid or do I get the Palm pre for the iPad!!

As far as I could tell through Google, the N1 is about the only phone that can be rooted easily without problems.

4. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

The Motorola Droid is very easy to root. I use one and have a wifi tether app installed on it. Works great. Also overclocked to 900MHz (amongst other hacks).

A root hack should be coming for the HTC Incredible soon, but you may just want to wait a week or two to be sure there's a root for it.

Don't bother with the Pre. Decent OS, crappy battery life, poor app market and getting worse now that its future is in doubt. Dataviz has suspended development on Docs To Go for webOS...

5. Godzirra! macrumors regular

Godzirra!

get the incredible that phone looks awesome. and rooting is really easy on the droid, cant imagine incredible will be much harder. Trust me, go with the incredible, tethering will be available in no time, and you wont regret it.

6. luha macrumors newbie

luha

...isn't it crazy, that you have to get an Android or Windows Mobile phone to tether with the iPad? Isn't it a stoopid move to cash in the extra 100 bugs from customers that buy the iPad 3G, instead of selling anyone with the iPad WiFi an iPhone that makes another 250 bugs for Apple?

I mean profit on an iPhone is slightly higher than the extra profit between an iPad WiFi and iPad 3G. But Apple is driving business to MiFi producers and other Smartphone OS?

It would have been a smarter move to enable tethering ONLY between iPhone and iPad, but currently you only have the chance of a jailbreak and 3rd party software you have to pay for or - even worst - a non Apple mobile phone.

I call that FAIL!

Cheers, Lutz

7. hypmatize macrumors regular

Android phones get rooted really fast (practically overnight). Get the Incredible unless you want a physical keyboard.

8. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

The best part of using tethering on android is that you don't have to pay, but it kills the phone battery. The actual 3G iPad will get better battery life than a phone tethering via wifi as the phone has a much smaller battery and has to use wifi and data simultaneously.

This has the added "benefit" of giving you a dead phone, too :D

9. mj1108 macrumors 6502a

Keep an eye out over on the XDA forums....I'd be surprised if it wasn't rooted by the end of the weekend. The people over there really know their stuff.

10. juliainor macrumors member

I don't know for sure about the Incredible, but I tether my MBP to my Droid (on Android 2.1) and it's not rooted. I use PDAnet and it works perfectly. It should work on the Incredible as well. Just FYI.

11. japasneezemonk macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk

Man I wish I could get the incredible, just read the Engadget review, this phone looks awesome.