Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
The title asks it all. I have ios7 on my iPones and on my iPad 4. It runs great on the iPhone 4S and kind of "so so" on the iPad 4. I've read disappointing reviews about iPad 3s.

Does anyone think that a future update will make ios7 perform well on the ipad3? :confused:

stevod

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2009
London
The title asks it all. I have ios7 on my iPones and on my iPad 4. It runs great on the iPhone 4S and kind of "so so" on the iPad 4. I've read disappointing reviews about iPad 3s.

Does anyone think that a future update will make ios7 perform well on the ipad3? :confused:

I think it works great. The odd slight lag/jerk here and there, but really quite minor and doesn't detract. On balance the overall improvement of the new interface is well worth it.

[Providing you like the new interface!]

Hope this helps.

S

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2011
It's runs "so so" on iPad 4? That's current gen. If anything iOS 7 needs to be rehauled.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
It's runs "so so" on iPad 4? That's current gen. If anything iOS 7 needs to be rehauled.

On my iPad 4 it's a little laggy / jerky when moving from one screen to another, of paging between sections of my apps.

Some of the reports tell about iPad 3 not being to handle it very well (to the point of making it unusable) due to the Retina screen. Apparently the A6X can't process the screen real-estate do to lack of dedicated processing power.

I like the interface, and it works fine on the iPhone 4S, the iPad 3 is pretty darned fast with iOS 6. I'm afraid of messing the up.

v6mikey

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2013
I really hope they do something for the iPad 3 as mine is awful. I have even done a restore through iTunes and its still not good.

Transitions are jittery, apps are laggy to open and close, I can actually type faster than the iPad can write. Its just horrible to use. I feel like dumping it on ebay! :mad:

On the other hand iOS7 on my 4s is a much better experience.

Last edited:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Any hope for iPad 3 & iOS 7?

I really hope they do something for the iPad 3 as mine is awful. I have even done a restore through iTunes and its still not good.

Transitions are jittery, apps are laggy to open and close, I can actually type faster than the iPad can write. Its just horrible to use. I feel like dumping it on ebay! :mad:

I'm hoping as well. I have an almost irresistible urge to upgrade, but then common sense kicks in and I don't. I'm really hoping for a fine tuned version that can detect iPads and make adjustments accordingly. It's probably a pipe-dream but something needs to be done.

I'd even be happy if they would just block updating of devices that aren't capable of running the OS at decent performance levels.

----------

Has anyone noticed that even on iOS 6xxx the updates are sketchy? I show 2 update badges almost constantly, and when I check they're rarely any updates available.

Last edited:

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
Has anyone noticed that even on iOS 6xxx the updates are sketchy? I show 2 update badges almost constantly, and when I check they're rarely any updates available.
I had the same and Apple had no clue how to resolve that. In the end I figured it out myself: I had to delete two Apps from my iPad that were also - as iOS 7 versions - on my iPhone with iOS 7.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
If anyone has tried the new 7.0.3 update on an iPad3 please let me know if it now runs well compared to previous versions. I would especially like to hear from people who were bothered by slowness and jerkiness.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I haven't noticed any problems/differences on my iPad 3 with iOS 7. I will likely update to 7.0.3 tonight. Will report back when/if I do.

Adam490

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2012
I haven't had any issues with iOS7 on my iPad 3 since it was released. I updated to 7.0.3 yesterday evening and it is a bit zippier. I have only experienced a slight lag when typing iMessages prior to 7.0.3 but it was sporadic and never really a hindrance; have not noticed it yet since the update.

Vcolassi

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
Mine runs pretty damn good on my ipad 3 since installing 7.0.3. On par with my 10 year olds mini. I have the parallax motion off as well which helps. It's pretty zippy now.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Mine is noticeably faster with 7.0.3 as well, and I haven't turned anything off.

Noticeably faster than 7.0.2 or 6.1.3?

----------

Have you tried 7.0.3 yet? What were your results?

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
So I went ahead and updated my iPad 3 to7.0.3. It's running fine as far as I can tell. I was very worried about it but so far so good. Thanks to all for the input.

Last edited:

PyroJonathan

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
United States
I have my iPad 3 on iOS 7.0.3 and it runs fine. As I think a previous user stated, there a occasional MINOR lag, nothing that destroys your experience or anything. Overall it works just fine and is worth the update.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
My iPad 3 had some minor lag on 7.0.1 and 7.0.2 but not catastrophic. 7.0.3 is nice and smooth with very rare lag. I'm glad I updated.

Mikes2pads

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
703 is fine on this ip3.
Not getting the issues I'm seeing in this thread.
I do however have an issue with pinch and zoom when attempting to size a photo or a wallpaper I want to put on lock or home screen.
It just expands as I let go off touch. It's a p I t a but it's the only thing I have to report. Everything is quick and enjoyable.
Debating on showing up at best buy tomorrow morning. If I show I will buy.
Told my wife to hide the car keys. Both sets. I rather wait a month but I always buy on day 1. It's a bad habit. If S.Jobs ( rip) was pumping these devices I would be there tomorrow, no doubt. Sounds foolish and without reason but it's how it is. Just brought a 13" mbpro home to settle ( bribe) my wife so a new ipad will go under the radar .again, without common sense. The cost beats the intent but it's how it is. Btw, I will use an ipad over a mb anyday. To smooth. The mbp is a greased lightning quick machine with haswell but it's to much for what I need an apple for. She loves the retina display as she does not even know haswell CPU exists... Would have like MBA to have retina but you can't wait for everything. Apple really knows how to frustrate me. I really hope ipad air2 don't show up in 4 months. Finger touch security, improved wifi... You know how it's gone in the recent past. They really could have installed a bit more now but I get it $$$
Sorry for the extended bs but I'm not here much. Best wishes in the upcoming holiday season.
Enjoy the day everyone...

Last edited:

spaghetti head

macrumors member
May 5, 2011
My iPad 3 is definitely much slower with iOS 7. I also have apps crash more frequently. My iPhone 4 has really suffered with iOS 7. Some navigational apps won't work. Safari with no WiFi is unusable. And I really dislike the new Calendar. It's past time for Apple to fix these issues.

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
My iPad 3 is definitely much slower with iOS 7. I also have apps crash more frequently. My iPhone 4 has really suffered with iOS 7. Some navigational apps won't work. Safari with no WiFi is unusable. And I really dislike the new Calendar. It's past time for Apple to fix these issues.

I agree about the new Calendar. I've been resisting putting 7 on my iPad3. I've seen some people mention the parallax being deactivated. How do you do that? I've looked almost everywhere.

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
Settings/General/Accessibility and turn on “Reduce Motion” option.

Thanks.

I just found that yesterday morning. Felt like a noob for not catching that sooner. I think I like the fade screen transition better than the motion screen transition. I swear my 4s runs snappier with Reduce Motion On; probably just the placebo effect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.