Any hope for iPad 3 & iOS 7?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by crjackson2134, Oct 11, 2013.

1. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

The title asks it all. I have ios7 on my iPones and on my iPad 4. It runs great on the iPhone 4S and kind of "so so" on the iPad 4. I've read disappointing reviews about iPad 3s.

Does anyone think that a future update will make ios7 perform well on the ipad3? :confused:

2. stevod macrumors member

I think it works great. The odd slight lag/jerk here and there, but really quite minor and doesn't detract. On balance the overall improvement of the new interface is well worth it.

[Providing you like the new interface!]

Hope this helps.

S

3. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

No parallax effect but otherwise it runs well on my iPad3. I like it.

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

My iPad3 has paralax...

5. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

It's runs "so so" on iPad 4? That's current gen. If anything iOS 7 needs to be rehauled.

6. crjackson2134 thread starter macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

On my iPad 4 it's a little laggy / jerky when moving from one screen to another, of paging between sections of my apps.

Some of the reports tell about iPad 3 not being to handle it very well (to the point of making it unusable) due to the Retina screen. Apparently the A6X can't process the screen real-estate do to lack of dedicated processing power.

I like the interface, and it works fine on the iPhone 4S, the iPad 3 is pretty darned fast with iOS 6. I'm afraid of messing the up.

7. v6mikey, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013

v6mikey macrumors newbie

I really hope they do something for the iPad 3 as mine is awful. I have even done a restore through iTunes and its still not good.

Transitions are jittery, apps are laggy to open and close, I can actually type faster than the iPad can write. Its just horrible to use. I feel like dumping it on ebay! :mad:

On the other hand iOS7 on my 4s is a much better experience.

8. crjackson2134, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013

crjackson2134 thread starter macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Any hope for iPad 3 & iOS 7?

I'm hoping as well. I have an almost irresistible urge to upgrade, but then common sense kicks in and I don't. I'm really hoping for a fine tuned version that can detect iPads and make adjustments accordingly. It's probably a pipe-dream but something needs to be done.

I'd even be happy if they would just block updating of devices that aren't capable of running the OS at decent performance levels.

----------

Has anyone noticed that even on iOS 6xxx the updates are sketchy? I show 2 update badges almost constantly, and when I check they're rarely any updates available.

9. desertman macrumors 6502a

I had the same and Apple had no clue how to resolve that. In the end I figured it out myself: I had to delete two Apps from my iPad that were also - as iOS 7 versions - on my iPhone with iOS 7.

10. crjackson2134 thread starter macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

If anyone has tried the new 7.0.3 update on an iPad3 please let me know if it now runs well compared to previous versions. I would especially like to hear from people who were bothered by slowness and jerkiness.

11. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I haven't noticed any problems/differences on my iPad 3 with iOS 7. I will likely update to 7.0.3 tonight. Will report back when/if I do.

12. Adam490 macrumors member

I haven't had any issues with iOS7 on my iPad 3 since it was released. I updated to 7.0.3 yesterday evening and it is a bit zippier. I have only experienced a slight lag when typing iMessages prior to 7.0.3 but it was sporadic and never really a hindrance; have not noticed it yet since the update.

13. Vcolassi macrumors newbie

Mine runs pretty damn good on my ipad 3 since installing 7.0.3. On par with my 10 year olds mini. I have the parallax motion off as well which helps. It's pretty zippy now.

14. csixty4 macrumors regular

Mine is noticeably faster with 7.0.3 as well, and I haven't turned anything off.

15. crjackson2134 thread starter macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Noticeably faster than 7.0.2 or 6.1.3?

----------

Have you tried 7.0.3 yet? What were your results?

16. crjackson2134, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

crjackson2134 thread starter macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

So I went ahead and updated my iPad 3 to7.0.3. It's running fine as far as I can tell. I was very worried about it but so far so good. Thanks to all for the input.

17. PyroJonathan macrumors newbie

I have my iPad 3 on iOS 7.0.3 and it runs fine. As I think a previous user stated, there a occasional MINOR lag, nothing that destroys your experience or anything. Overall it works just fine and is worth the update.

18. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

No problem for me with GM, 7.0.2 and 7.0.3. Parallax is also there and working. Not laggy at all for my needs on my iPad3

19. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

My iPad 3 had some minor lag on 7.0.1 and 7.0.2 but not catastrophic. 7.0.3 is nice and smooth with very rare lag. I'm glad I updated.

20. Mikes2pads, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

Mikes2pads macrumors regular

703 is fine on this ip3.
    Not getting the issues I'm seeing in this thread.
    I do however have an issue with pinch and zoom when attempting to size a photo or a wallpaper I want to put on lock or home screen.
    It just expands as I let go off touch. It's a p I t a but it's the only thing I have to report. Everything is quick and enjoyable.
    Debating on showing up at best buy tomorrow morning. If I show I will buy.
    Told my wife to hide the car keys. Both sets. I rather wait a month but I always buy on day 1. It's a bad habit. If S.Jobs ( rip) was pumping these devices I would be there tomorrow, no doubt. Sounds foolish and without reason but it's how it is. Just brought a 13" mbpro home to settle ( bribe) my wife so a new ipad will go under the radar .again, without common sense. The cost beats the intent but it's how it is. Btw, I will use an ipad over a mb anyday. To smooth. The mbp is a greased lightning quick machine with haswell but it's to much for what I need an apple for. She loves the retina display as she does not even know haswell CPU exists... Would have like MBA to have retina but you can't wait for everything. Apple really knows how to frustrate me. I really hope ipad air2 don't show up in 4 months. Finger touch security, improved wifi... You know how it's gone in the recent past. They really could have installed a bit more now but I get it $$$
    Sorry for the extended bs but I'm not here much. Best wishes in the upcoming holiday season.
    Enjoy the day everyone...

21. spaghetti head macrumors member

My iPad 3 is definitely much slower with iOS 7. I also have apps crash more frequently. My iPhone 4 has really suffered with iOS 7. Some navigational apps won't work. Safari with no WiFi is unusable. And I really dislike the new Calendar. It's past time for Apple to fix these issues.

22. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

I agree about the new Calendar. I've been resisting putting 7 on my iPad3. I've seen some people mention the parallax being deactivated. How do you do that? I've looked almost everywhere.

23. spaghetti head macrumors member

Settings/General/Accessibility and turn on “Reduce Motion” option.

24. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

Thanks.

I just found that yesterday morning. Felt like a noob for not catching that sooner. I think I like the fade screen transition better than the motion screen transition. I swear my 4s runs snappier with Reduce Motion On; probably just the placebo effect.