Any Hulu to TV Streaming Solutions?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tyreal, Nov 25, 2008.

1. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Yes. Computer+web browser+connecting cable for computer -> TV.

More seriously, Boxee supports Hulu, but it won't be widely available for a while.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Boxee on the :apple:TV works pretty darn well from what I hear, though I don't have many good things to say about Boxee on the computer (unintuitive interface, took over my remote without telling me it would and without the option of recovering control without completely deleting the Boxee application from my computer). I don't have an :apple:TV to try it on though, so can't say for certain, plus that'd obviously be at least $229.

jW

3. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Mal, you can gain your default remote functionality back by navigating to Settings-System-Remote-uncheck "Always running" in Boxee. I had this problem too and thought my batter had died. Then I tried a new remote and thought that it was the IR sensor on my MacBook. Finally realized that it was simply Boxee interfering.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, I tried that (went on the official forums for help). Unfortunately, it didn't respond to that control, and still wouldn't give me back control.

I'm actually far less upset about that than the fact that neither the installer nor the application itself warned me about the fact I would lose control, and I didn't even know why my remote wasn't working (checked the batteries and tried it on another computer before I finally figured it out). Very, very poor application design and user interface.

jW

5. davidwes macrumors regular

Shoot, now you tell me! About 12 hours too late. I haven't tried using my remote yet though.

I did see that it can't seem to get my hulu queue.

6. Je3nYu5 macrumors newbie

I used PlayOn to watch Hulu through my xbox 360, but it also works with ps3. It has a free trial too so you don't have to buy it and find out it sucks/doesn't work, which for the record, it doesn't.

7. humbgz macrumors newbie

A little more info on the PlayOn option... PlayOn seems like a good option for Mac, but it will require some addition items that may need to be purchased. Mac OS isn't supported... so then if you want to use it on Mac you need to run Parallels, which costs $79.99. Plus you will need a Windows operating system to run the Parallels emulator with - $119.99 for Windows 7. Plus you need to pay for PlayOn after the initial demo period which is another $39.99.

At that point, if your computer is anywhere near your TV you might as well just buy a cable for around $50 and hook up directly as a previous post mentioned.