Any idea if Apple Pay will allow third party apps to import transactions?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Polekat, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Polekat macrumors regular

Polekat

I'm thinking along the lines of when you use Apple Pay to make a purchase then that info is automatically imported into your financial app of choice. I use YNAB and thought it'd be pretty slick to have the purchase dumped into YNAB as I make it.

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Highly doubtful as they made a special point of saying the transactions are encrypted and tokenized, and between you, the payment processor and banks only. So I can't see allowing that information to be exchanged through extensions or whatever, in software as it would be very insecure, relative to what they are going for. And if they have any kind of security breach, it would bring the entire thing down. They would get killed for that and it would be over.

3. ckorhonen macrumors regular

ckorhonen

ApplePay doesn't quite work with that - its not a separate account but a means of making payments linked to your existing credit/debit cards.

If you are already importing information from your bank or credit card statements into YNAB (or an app like Mint perhaps) then your ApplePay transactions will appear automatically.

4. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

From the sounds of it they want it to be as secure as possible. They definitely don't want to end up like target, where , because of a compromise in the system , people no longer shop there.

I don't see Apple allowing this to happen.

5. Polekat thread starter macrumors regular

Polekat

Yea, kinda what I figured. Just thought it'd be a nice convenience.

6. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

This.  Pay is a new way of securing the actual transaction. Nothing changes on what you and your bank know about it, so all the details will still be there and available for both of you to use/analyze as you want. So, I fully expect to get the same texts and emails from Chase and AmEx, for example, when I make an  Pay transaction using my cards from them.