Any idea on how to transfer from a DV Camcorder?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cevaldiviesol, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Cevaldiviesol macrumors newbie

Cevaldiviesol

As you may imagine now, I bought a new MacBook. Yes, no firewire. Still I like the machine. I have been able to use FCP with a USB2.0 external hard drive and the laptop runs smooth. However, I need to capture more video. I wonder if anyone has found the gadget to overcome the lack of firewire.

Any help will be very much appreciated!!!!

2. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

That is going to be tough. About all I can think of is to run your analog out from the DV into an Digital to analog conversion device, such as the Elgato products.

The quality will degrade some, but it will still work.

Alternately you could go for a digital to other digital conversion, with the final step being a device that will output it via USB. This would be doing something like borrowing another person's flash or HDD AVCHD Camera for instance.

Someone once said they knew of a hard drive with a built in capture device that included firewire, but the name escapes me.

3. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Many windows user are pointing to this device. They claim it's possible to use it on a mac too, by using Parallels, Bootcamp or VMware.

4. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

5. Cevaldiviesol thread starter macrumors newbie

Cevaldiviesol

Thanks a lot, but it seems that the device works with firewire, which exactly what I'm trying to avoid since I don't have a firewire port. I'll carry on in case you find a way please let me know.

6. Cevaldiviesol thread starter macrumors newbie

Cevaldiviesol

Thanks a lot. I'll try it. I believe this is the best option to solve my problem.

7. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

That looks like it will work but you will need to use Windows through bootcamp or Fusion/Parallels for it to work (according to the requirements)