Any idea what could cause this?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by amoda, Jul 8, 2014.

1. amoda macrumors 6502a

Hey!

I'm having some issues with my Mid 2012 (1st gen) 15" rMBP that I'd love some advice on.

A few months ago the integrated graphic card began messing up and the logic board was replaced. Since then I've noticed two new issues. I've reformatted the laptop which didn't help, and a hardware check shows no issues.

The issues, with images, are:

1. Scrambled display on waking the laptop after an extended time (1hr plus)

[​IMG]

2. A boot-up and log-in screen with a much smaller resolution

[​IMG]

I'm more worried about issue 1, and was wondering if anyone can shed some light if these two things are suggestive of something to be worried about. I'll be travelling abroad in about 3 weeks time and don't want to have the laptop fail on me then. I've taken it to Apple who suggested reinstalling OSX, which didn't help. They haven't done, nor appear interested, in doing anything else.

Any tips would be appreciated!

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I'm not gonna lie, did Apple actually replace the logic board the first time around?

You can try running TechTool which has basic graphics testing, but beyond that there's not really much you can do (aside from getting another replacement logic board).

3. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

That looks like it is definitely a GPU issue. If you have applecare you can get it replaced for free, and if you don't it'll cost a lot of money.

4. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

I'm not surprised reinstalling the OS didn't help. The white boot screen is displayed before any storage devices are read, so if that's going wrong, the OS is not to blame. I'd say it's a hardware/firmware issue, and probably the GPU.

5. chevelleguy3 macrumors regular

Try doing a PRAM reset. I had one a while back that did this same thing and that fixed it.

Power it off. Hold down Command+Option+P+R all at the same time and power it up. Let the computer go through 3 chime cycles and then release the keys.

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Whilst not 100% effective, that is a good shout, also look at doing an SMC reset:

Unplug everything apart from your charger cable, turn your machine off, press and hold the power button whilst also holding ALT + CMD and the left hand SHIFT key. Whilst it might not fix it permanently, it may help, it won't do any damage if it doesn't work.