Any idea what kind of effect this is?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chubby Cox, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Chubby Cox macrumors member

Currently at the Hirshhorn in Washington, DC, there's an exhibition of the work of Wolfgang Tillmans. There's a very large variety of images present, but there were a few that particularly caught my interest because of some sort of visual effect in them. My guess is that it involves a delayed flash and long exposure, but I was wondering what you guys think. Here are a few examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think...

2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

It looks to me like some Photoshop or after-editing was involved.

3. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

That's the kind of stuff I find in my belly button. What's the attraction?

4. PixelFactory macrumors regular

5. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

6. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Could it also be the use of brushes in Photoshop?

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Looks like a tumour with hair growth.

:eek:

8. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

Honestly, why is this guys work on exhibit? It's not horrible, per se, but there are some photographers here on MR who consistently post better images, that tell a story. Most of the images you've shown us from this person's portfolio are abstrat and while pretty, just don't tell a story like a picture. They aren't pictures so much as they are images, and to be honest I'd rather pay money for a picture. :) Moreover, the two pictures you've shown us of his aren't inspiring in the least. Not horrible, but goodness, if I paid money to see that, I'd go ahead and shoot myself in the other foot while Iw as at it!

OTOH, there are people on MR who I would gladly pay money to in order to walk through an exhibit of their work in large scale on paper.

9. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I think that's pretty crude of you. I find the work interesting.

10. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Agreed.

Here's a shot that a friend and I collaborated on, that has a similar look:

[​IMG]

We placed a giant tub of water on the ground, and stared dropping powder based dyes into the water. We shot handheld, slow shutter speeds.

11. TimJim macrumors 6502a

12. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

This is called art.

I'll quote one of my favorite Latin proverbs: "De gustibus non est disputandum," which means, "Concerning taste, there is no argument."

This guy's work isn't exactly up my alley, but heck, I respect it and appreciate it as a statement.

To the OP, this sort of looks like either smoke photography or camera tossing. I'm not sure...

13. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Those top ones look like the shower drain after my wife and daughters have been in there.

Create a random effect, take a picture, put it in a gallery. Voila! Modern art...

14. superted666 Guest

superted666

I see your point that sometimes modern art is a joke but in this case i feel the artist has his own style and if not to your taste you should still respect it.

I could easily imagine the abstracts being used to sell as canvas prints for home decoration, places like argos sell millions of similar items.

15. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I rest my case...

16. superted666 Guest

superted666

by 'your case'?

you must only be referring to the fact its not to your liking or your taste in art?

17. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Of course. I can't pretend to be speaking for anyone else. In this context, what I'm actually saying is that to me art is something that reflects an ability to create a desired image - not just playing with something until it looks good, which this kind of random work seems to be. Again, it's only my opinion.

18. superted666 Guest

superted666

Fair enough!