Any Idea What This Is?

Voenix Rising

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2013
This pops up after I log in. It's only on my profile on the machine. I have a suspicion it's something ominous so I keep saying "Skip for now" until I can figure out what it is. Google has not been helpful, and I've poured over Activity Monitor with no results.

Avast, as well as Malwarebytes comes up clean.

Attachments

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
perhaps it's legit; check the apps that are set to open in system preferences>users & groups>login items. & check your apps folder: what apps are at version 1 or just under that version listed?

casperes1996

macrumors 603
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
This pops up after I log in. It's only on my profile on the machine. I have a suspicion it's something ominous so I keep saying "Skip for now" until I can figure out what it is. Google has not been helpful, and I've poured over Activity Monitor with no results.

Avast, as well as Malwarebytes comes up clean.

Malicious or benevolent; Terrible programming to have that be the message. With no app title in the window border or anything, you don't know what you're deciding on

Reactions: Nermal

Voenix Rising

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2013
Thanks. Solved. I looked in Launch Agents and Launch Daemons folders. Turned out it was my OVPN client. I allowed it to update and it launched the OVPN updater.

I also sent the company an email suggesting that they let you know in the window border exactly what it is that's trying to update.

Last edited:

casperes1996

macrumors 603
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Isn't that Activity Monitor trying to update itself?

Activity Monitor is a part of the operating system. It is updated with the OS through the App Store.
In the screenshot, Activity Monitor is the active app, yes, but the window showing the update does not belong to the active app, and likely doesn't have app status, but rather is run as a service, meaning it won't change the menu bar to say the name of the app

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Thanks. Solved. I looked in Launch Agents and Launch Daemons folders. Turned out it was my OVPN client. I allowed it to update and it launched the OVPN updater.

I also sent the company an email suggesting that they let you know in the window border exactly what it is that's trying to update.
yes, really; they should ID their app in that window!

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Just for future reference, I’ve had similar happen and discovered the app name by going to the Force Quit selection in the Desktop Titlebar > Apple icon > Force Quit - There it will list active windows (usually by app name).

It helped me anyway...

casperes1996

macrumors 603
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Just for future reference, I’ve had similar happen and discovered the app name by going to the Force Quit selection in the Desktop Titlebar > Apple icon > Force Quit - There it will list active windows (usually by app name).

It helped me anyway...

Depending on how the process it started, it won't always display it there though. And if whatever it is, is run within an X-window, it'll just say XQuartz, and not the process. This trick will sometimes work, but is far from a bullet-proof way of checking. Nonetheless, thanks for sharing the idea in case it does help someone at some point :)

Reactions: Mr. Retrofire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.