Any idea when 10.5.1 is coming out?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by motulist, Nov 5, 2007.

1. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

As a rule, I never use .0 products, so I'm anxiously awaiting 10.5.1 Anyone have any clue about when it's gonna come out? How long did it take for Apple to release 10.4.1 after 10.4.0 was released?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It took a few weeks between 10.4.0 and its first point update, but 10.4.0 was quite a bit more buggy than 10.5.0, so my guess is Monday the 19th, but thats just a guess...

3. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

The 10.4.1 update came out 17 days after the release of 10.4.0. So, if that is any indication, 10.5.1 "should" come out on November 12th.

4. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

Some might call me over cautious, but I figure it's better to let other people be the guinea pigs. The only cost in waiting is that you don't get to have the new toy as soon as other people do, but the benefit is that you let other kids be the ones to figure out that it has small parts that pose a choking danger.

5. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

There's no problem in waiting for the first update. It's smart if you have sensitive files on your internal drive. Me, I'm free-spirited and willy nilly with my internal drive. The external has the few sensitives I have. But still, I'm hoping to see 10.5.1 soon too. Some people were expecting the first update to be on or near the day of release because they apparently rushed golden master out, but that's just silly.

6. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

I wonder if Apple would've delayed releasing 10.5.1 a couple of weeks even if it was ready on the day of leopard's launch in order to avoid any bad publicity. I can imagine reviewers spinning it in a bad way, like "Although leopard is a great upgrade, it seems like it must've been rushed because the first thing that happens when you run leopard for the first time is it tells you that you should download an update. That makes me wonder if leopard is only half baked, and makes me wonder if there are major bugs lurking just under the surface."

7. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

I can see that. But to me (and I usually think differently than the majority of people, businesses in general, and the media) it would have saved some bad publicity (the firewall debacle for one), and really it would have just showed how devoted Apple is to making their OS as stable as they can as soon as they can while getting it out when promised. It would show that mac users can have their cake and eat it too.

Alas, that's not the case, but instead we must continue to wait for some issues to be solved that should have been fixed weeks ago.

8. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

Which issues are there? I've heard a lot of gripes about people not liking the new functions like the 3D dock, stacks replacing dock folder pop ups, the transparent menu bar, and to some degree the firewall. But I haven't heard about any "issues" in terms of problems that I'd expect to see in an update. Which issues are you referring to?

9. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

The firewall apparently doesn't work at all is what I hear, though I have a hardware firewall. The GUI is choppy (especially with Exposé, Spaces, and Stacks) on a lot of people's machines (of all ages and on both platforms), even with clean installs. There's something wrong with the memory allocation (besides the usual Safari memory leaks). The Finder is slow for a lot of people, including myself. Even clicking icons or opening folders has a one second or so delay.

Some things can be blamed on third party apps (like APE), but some of these things happen on a lot of macs, even with clean installs. I personally am having multiple problems with Spaces occasionally ignoring the rules I set with regards to which Spaces I assign them to (especially when assigning them to all spaces).

But yeah, besides that there's a lot of things that they apparently took out from beta that people are upset about, as well as things they left in the system but never implemented that would be nice to see implemented.