Any idea why my disks are not being read by my computer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stormy67, Feb 22, 2008.

1. stormy67 macrumors newbie

I have a mac mini. Today I received two replacement cd's for "ilisten" - a dictation program (thank you Chuck and Janis Rogers of MacSpeech).

Obviously the problem is my computer and not the disks.

I put Tina Turner in - itunes opens and she is ready to rock.

I put the two disks in from MacSpeech and they show as blank recordable disks.

I have yet to learn to burn a disk. I certainly can not figure out how to change any settings or determine what is going on that my computer can not read these.

Can any one help me, please?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Sounds that either the lense is out of whack or the discs are DVDs and the red laser is dead/misfocused. Do you have any DVDs you can try? Do they work? Does the OSX disc work?

TEG

3. stormy67 thread starter macrumors newbie

You mean like just a movie DVD? I have plenty.

I do have my installation software. Let me see if it shows up.

How do I get this lazar fixed and what messes it up?

4. stormy67 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh this is interesting.

I just put in Spiderman 2. It made a few weird clicking sounds and spit it out.

5. stormy67 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just put in night at the museum. It clicked but it opened right up and played.

UGH!

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

From my experience (my PowerBook wouldn't read burned CDs or burned DVDs), goto your local electronics store and purchase a CD/DVD lense cleaner (the one I used had brushes on it to clean the lense) follow the instructions, usually it has a CD Audio track that you play in iTunes which allows the disc to clean the lens (you may need to do this several times). Afterwards try your DVD or the software you are looking to use. If it still doesn't work, take the mini to an Apple Store or your local Apple Authorized Repair Center. They may be able to determine if it is a physical, dirt, or software problem.

TEG

7. stormy67 thread starter macrumors newbie

TEG,

I do believe you are my new best friend.

THANK YOU!